cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable Coverage Hole Detection

dkleimbach
Level 1
Level 1

I have a deployment of about 50 APs in a building. In this scenario we are only trying to provide wireless coverage in conference rooms and public areas, I am not trying to cover the entire building.  I expect to have a large number of coverage holes due to this design.  My question is can anyone give me a reason that I should NOT disable "coverage hole detection"?

10 Replies 10

Andrew Vlasek
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same question and even though mine may have a little overlap is coverage hole detection just an alert mechanism? Reiterating the same question above and then adding to it... does coverage whole detection do anything other then alert on the holes will there be any negative impact on disabling it?

It floods my logs and makes it more difficult to isolate to real events.

No it's not just an alert mechanism.  If the WLC does find a coverage hole, the WLC will boost the power on surronding AP, so that there is no hole.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nope, if you are only doing spot coverage like that you should feel free to disable CHD under the WLAN

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Alert messages will still be sent to the controller though but no changes will be made to try to mitigate the coverage hole.

I never felt comfortable with this alert. U could have a client that is a really low talker or just poor and it will alert on it. And you could intentionally cause this yourself if you wanted to.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Do you mean like when employees take out their phones for a smoke break:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yea ... CD is bogus in most cases .. Should be turned off by default ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Disabling global or per wlan CHD won't affect maintaining system wide RF blanket among APs.

Wouldn't worry about CHD when all APs on its max power levels, and even RRM also not required in this case.

Coverage hole detected btw APs are RF group wide, TPC compensates when neighbor AP went down. It happens irrespective of chd config.

Coverage hole detected btw AP and Client is per WLC basis, you would see pre-coverage hole and actual coverage hole when it persist. Only this will get disabled on that configured wlc. However, info is still collected but does not processed by wlc.

Thanks for the information. I think Saravanan and others answered my question, but unfortunately my main intent was to lower the number of unhelpful alerts and if disabling CHD doesn't turn off those alerts then disabling doesn't do anything for me.

Thanks,

Andrew

Disabling CHD should disable trapping coverage issue reported by wireless clients when occurs.

If coverage traps are issue then disable that from trapcontrols.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: