Views
Helpful
Replies

Core switch serial number

venvijlav123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 Cisco 6509 switches in ;live setup....How can I find out the serial number of that chassis.

"sh module" and "sh module all" will give the present modules and its serial number and it's status....and " sh ver " will me the chassis....but I do not find the serial number of that chassis in the " sh ver"....." sh inventory" will also give all the modules but not the chassis serial number.

Which command will give the serial number of that chassis.

Best Regsrds,

7 Replies 7

t-yamashita
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

I think you can confirm it in "show diag" or "show inventory".

HTH,

Tomoyuki

Hi

Tomoyuki,

Thanks for the info......" sh diag" is not there. " sh diagnostic " is there, in that lot of there? I do not know which " sh diagnostic ?" will give me the chassis serial number.Please help me ....

Regards,

Hi Ravi,

When I checked in "show inventory" on my Catalyst6504-E, I can comfirmed chassis serial number as the following resulted.

Router#sh inventory
NAME: "WS-C6504-E", DESCR: "Cisco Systems Cisco 6500 4-slotChassis System"
PID: WS-C6504-E        ,                     VID: V01, SN: XXXXXXXXX

NAME: "CLK-7600 1", DESCR: "OSR-7600 Clock FRU 1"
PID: CLK-7600          ,                     VID:    , SN:  XXXXXXXXX

....snip....

If you can't get it in "show inventory", I don't think I can meet your expectations. sorry.

Regards,

Tomoyuki

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ravi,

You can issue a command show inventry which will show all present hardware serial number in that particular chasis and as well you can see in the front panel of the chassis regarding the serial number for the switch.

Hope this solves your query !!

Regards

Ganesh.H

Hi Mr.Ganesh,

Thanks for the info.....To get the chassis serial number....I have to physically go and see the front pannel as you mentioned?No other way ?Because all the core switches are at remote end.

Any CLI command which can give me the chassis serial number?

Please help me.

Regards,

Hi Ravi,

Yes you can check by show inventry and also by show version

In show version it will as Processor board ID that is the chasis number,Show inventry NAME: "WS-C6513", DESCR: will also show the same serial number .

Hope this will your query and reslove your issue in finding the serial number.

Regards

Ganesh.H

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Use the "show idprom"  commands to get serial numbers from everything from the chassis to modules to SFP modules...  If you are talking earlier models that use catos I believe the show version command gives you that info near the top of the display , usually be like a FOXXXXXXXXX serial number.

Bookmark this page for this info on all switches in cisco's inventory.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801c1e9a.shtml

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card