Some other doc on ciso site use port 1718 instead of 1719

What is the right one?

Thanks for help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Paul Jones
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jonathan's reply is correct, but to be more precise, 1718 is for multicast signaling and 1719 is for unicast signaling.  I noted that the documentation he referenced is actually wrong, as it presently says that 1718 is for unicast traffic.  I'll see if I can get that corrected.  A correct listing of ports is shown here: http://www.packetizer.com/in/q119.html.

Virtually every real-world deployment I've seen uses unicast for discovery, registration, etc., so port 1719 is probably the only port you need.  That said, there has been confusion over these ports for years in the industry, so most devices will listen for traffic on both ports and you might encounter some devices that send unicast traffic to port 1718. While I recommend proper usage, I would expect that both ports might be used interchangeably.

Cheers!

Paul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1718 is for gatekeeper discovery. 1719 is for H.225 RAS communications. The Understanding H.323 Gatekeepers document may provide some additional insight into this.

Paul Jones
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jonathan's reply is correct, but to be more precise, 1718 is for multicast signaling and 1719 is for unicast signaling.  I noted that the documentation he referenced is actually wrong, as it presently says that 1718 is for unicast traffic.  I'll see if I can get that corrected.  A correct listing of ports is shown here: http://www.packetizer.com/in/q119.html.

Virtually every real-world deployment I've seen uses unicast for discovery, registration, etc., so port 1719 is probably the only port you need.  That said, there has been confusion over these ports for years in the industry, so most devices will listen for traffic on both ports and you might encounter some devices that send unicast traffic to port 1718. While I recommend proper usage, I would expect that both ports might be used interchangeably.

Cheers!

Paul

smallrain_2
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Paul, Jonathan!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: