Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco c3524 switch

tahir1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I am working towards CCNP and starting to build home lab. Just want to know that Cisco WS-C3524-XL-EN is a layer 3 switch and suitable for CCNP labs ? If not, also advise me what switch would be suitable for CCNP level.

Thanks.

Seasons' greetings.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No it is not , it's an ancient  L2 switch that was built in the mid 1990's  for the access layer  .  If you need a layer 3  switchg for a lab I would look for a 3550, though this is also end of life it should fit your need for L3 functionality  though it might not have the latest QOS, COS functionality of something like a 3560 switch with ipservices  which would cost more than most people would want to invest in for a lab.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I am afraid that the 3524XL switch is not suitable for current CCNP. As far as I know, it is only a Layer2 switch. The 3524XL support was discontinued in 2007 and it is completely unsupported by now.

The best switch for building a CCNP lab would be the Catalyst 3560 series - but I am afraid it is way too expensive. You can try to obtain a Catalyst 3550 series switch. It does not support some features (Private VLANs and IPv6 routing if I remember correctly - anybody please correct me here if I am wrong) but the most capabilities are there and it is still fine for CCNP preparations.

Best regards,

Peter

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No it is not , it's an ancient  L2 switch that was built in the mid 1990's  for the access layer  .  If you need a layer 3  switchg for a lab I would look for a 3550, though this is also end of life it should fit your need for L3 functionality  though it might not have the latest QOS, COS functionality of something like a 3560 switch with ipservices  which would cost more than most people would want to invest in for a lab.

Thanks guys for reply and all is extremely helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco