cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot use the password recovery on the 3550 Switch

kjackson5
Level 1
Level 1

When I try to used the password recovery procedure as postedfor the 3550 .  I am not prompted with the "the system will autoboot in 15 seconds.  send break character to prevent autobooting"  and therefore the break command is not accepted.  Please help

Thanks Keith

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

kjackson5 wrote:

When I try to used the password recovery procedure as postedfor the 3550 .  I am not prompted with the "the system will autoboot in 15 seconds.  send break character to prevent autobooting"  and therefore the break command is not accepted.  Please help

Thanks Keith

Keith

You don't use the break character for the 3550, you use the mode button on the front, see this doc for details -

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

Jon

Your right and I tried by holding down the mode button, but i never get the

switch: promt.  So i figured i would try the other method.  When I hold down the mode button I dont seem to get the solid green light on the syst to release the mode button.  I am using version 12.1(22)EA9

kjackson5 wrote:

Your right and I tried by holding down the mode button, but i never get the

switch: promt.  So i figured i would try the other method.  When I hold down the mode button I dont seem to get the solid green light on the syst to release the mode button.  I am using version 12.1(22)EA9

Kevin

This is definitely a 3550 switch ?

I only ask because you don't wait for the syst to go solid green. From the doc i gave link to for 3550 -

Release the Mode button when the LED above Port1x goes out.

Jon

Well I guess i should have mentioned that I tried that too.  I wait until the 1x light goes out and then release the mode button.  Then I eventually get a pause in the ios load but i never get a promt with the switch: I am suppse to get a prompt right?   Well i dont get a prompt and the switch just continues to load the ios.  In other words I dont get a chance or prompt to load the flash_init  command

kjackson5 wrote:

Well I guess i should have mentioned that I tried that too.  I wait until the 1x light goes out and then release the mode button.  Then I eventually get a pause in the ios load but i never get a promt with the switch: I am suppse to get a prompt right?   Well i dont get a prompt and the switch just continues to load the ios.  In other words I dont get a chance or prompt to load the flash_init  command

Keith

FIrstly apologies for calling you Kevin in previous post - my mistake.

Assuming the password recovery mechanism is not disabled and if it was you should be told that as the switch boots up and prompted to reset to factory defaults, then the only thing i can suggest is to be persistent and keep trying it. It has taken me a fwe goes in the past to get it right. Appreciate you may already have done this but it's all i can suggest at the moment. I do have a couple of 3550 switches so i'll give it a go tomorrow to see if i can emulate your problem.

Jon

Thanks for you help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco