cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I get the serial number of SFP in WLC by GUI or CLI?

teru-lei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

In WLC, Can I get the serial number of SFP in WLC by GUI or CLI? Seems that the GUI cannot provide this information but this information is useful for inventory management.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Teru Lei

13 Replies 13

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No..  I dont believe you can...  There is no mechnism for the SFP to transmit its information. Good question ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I know that this Topic is very old, but I was facing the same issue.

The solution is:

Connect via CLI (SSH) to WLC and type "debug fastpath cfgtool --dump.sfp"
you dont need to type "FP0.", thats part of the output

I censored the output with XXXXXX:

(Cisco Controller) >debug fastpath cfgtool --dump.sfp

(Cisco Controller) >FP0.
Port SFP Vendor       Transceiver Type    OUI PartNumber       Rev  SerialNumber     DateCode Auth
   1 OEM              (0x01)1000BaseSX        GLC-SX-MM-G-UL   2.0  VB11XXXXXX      110701   ok      
   2 Not Present      (0x00)NOT_SUPPORTED                                                     fail    
   3 Not Present      (0x00)NOT_SUPPORTED                                                     fail    
   4 Not Present      (0x00)NOT_SUPPORTED                                                     fail    
   5 Not Present      (0x00)NOT_SUPPORTED                                                     fail    
   6 Not Present      (0x00)NOT_SUPPORTED                                                     fail    
   7 Not Present      (0x00)NOT_SUPPORTED                                                     fail    
   8 Not Present      (0x00)NOT_SUPPORTED                                                     fail    
FP0.

hope that helps someone for the next time

Yeap, this works Just continue typing the command since 'cfgtool --dump.sfp' is hidden i.e., tab auto-complete will not work

Probably a little late but via GUI [Controller] [Inventory]

44020 version 7.0.240.0

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try "show inventory".

I thought you might be on to something ... but just checked my 4402 and no love ...

I dont think you can get the serial from an SFP on a WLC

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Awwww nuts! 

sh inventory.

Right you are !!!

Thank you !!!

If it works, can you please rate my post?  Thanks. 

Yes, sure.

Five stars !!

Thank's for your help ! It's very useful !

Peter,

What WLC and Code version are you on!? I checked gain on 2 different WLC running 6x and 4x and both arent showing the SFP info...

(Cisco Controller) >show inventory

Burned-in MAC Address............................ XXXXXXXXXXXX
Crypto Accelerator 1............................. Absent
Crypto Accelerator 2............................. Absent
Power Supply 1................................... Absent
Power Supply 2................................... Present, OK
NAME: "Chassis"    , DESCR: "4400 Series WLAN Controller:25 APs"
PID: AIR-WLC4402-25-K9,  VID: V01,  SN: XXXXXXXXXXX <--- This serial number is of the controller

(Cisco Controller) >

Hi there!

Any update on this topic?

p.grace
Level 1
Level 1

Probably a little late but via GUI [Controller] [Inventory]

44020 version 7.0.240.0

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card