Wireless Internet Disconnects When Second User Logs On

Unanswered Question
Dec 28th, 2009
User Badges:

Hey guys, I apologize for the extra post, but I simply could not get the search engine working for me.

My situation is that I have two computers at home which use Wireless USB Adapters (One is a Cisco USB Adapter and one is a onboard wireless card) to connect to a Cisco wireless router (Cox is the provider). Now what happens is if one computer is connected to the connection and the other computer boots up and connects to the same connection, the entire network goes down and both computers get a "Limited connectivity" error. After about ten minutes, both computers will log back into the network and are able to access the internet at the same time. It is only when one or both computers try to get on to connect to the wireless network that there is an issue.

We've tried to use static IPs to resolve the problem, thinking it was an IP conflict. However, the issue still persists. The computer that hosts the network is operating on Windows Vista, and the secondary computer is Operating on Windows 7.

Also, router resets are not effective. Even after the router resets, both computers will still hang on a limited connectivity error until they decide to actually connect to the internet again.

Computer one's Cisco USB Adapter(Model WUSB600N) - Windows 7 Computer

Computer two's onboard wireless card (unknown) - Vista Computer

Cisco Router - G model

If anyone could give some insight into solving this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. Getting booted off the internet for ten minutes every time one computer logs on is getting annoying.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Stephen Rodriguez Tue, 12/29/2009 - 06:36
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

In my experience, most providers only allow one connection to the internet, thought that does seem to be changing.  I would talk to the ISP, and have them check the config on there device to make sure it is setup to allow multiple connections.  more than likely, there is a misconfiguration on the CPE device.

George Stefanick Tue, 12/29/2009 - 11:56
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Best Publication, October 2015

Lets start from the beginning.

Do you have admin access to the router/access point?

What model is it and is it a  Linksys type or Cisco SOHO?

Do you see both clients in the router when they connect?

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network