Wireless Connectivity Issue with WPA2 Security

Unanswered Question
Dec 28th, 2009
User Badges:

Dear All,

Iam facing some problem with the Wireless connectivity issue like

1. I have a laptop with Realtek 8191SE Wireless Adapter in it and i have configured the SSID with WPA+WPA2 Security Enabled on the Wirelss Lan Controller.

2. When i try to connect through Wireless Adapter it does not connect it.

3. My Laptop Running with Microsoft Vista OS.Need to know whether any patch to upgrade or driver to be upload on my laptop to support WPA2 Security.

Appreciate you help on this.

Thanks & Regds,

Lalit

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Mon, 12/28/2009 - 21:49
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

What happens if you use open or no authentication?

lalitputhran Mon, 12/28/2009 - 22:37
User Badges:

Hi ,

We are keeping Encryption type as AES on the Laptop side.

Laptop doesnt get connect at all...we are disabling Broadcast SSID in the WLC.

Thanks & Regds,

Lalit

Leo Laohoo Tue, 12/29/2009 - 00:14
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Let me rephrase my question:  If you have open or no authentication, can clients successfully associate to the WLAN?

lalitputhran Tue, 12/29/2009 - 00:45
User Badges:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Ia using Network authentication as WPA2-Enterprise and Encryption type is AES.With this settings clients are not able to connect.It says wireless adapter is not connected.

Wanted to know any patch to be applied in windows vista to support WPA2.

Thanks & Regds,

Lalit

Leo Laohoo Tue, 12/29/2009 - 15:20
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

The reason why I am asking is because I want to be able to determine where the problem is.  If you configure some clients and the WLAN for open or no authentication, will the clients be able to associate successfully for, say, 30 minutes?   If the answer is NO, then the problem is the somewhere else, maybe the WLAN NIC firmware or firewall or something.

If the answer is a resounding YES, then enable AES and try again.  If yes then enable WPA/WPA2.

Kayle Miller Tue, 12/29/2009 - 09:59
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

I assume your using either a certificate, peap for authentication, or some other form of 802.1x for the authentication correct?

If you are using a pre-shared key then you can't use the enterprise selection.

also make sure on your controller that on the SSID WPA is using TKIP and WPA2 is using AES.

Some supplicant clients don't support the AES on WPA2 which would mean you'd need to configure the WPA2 to support TKIP and change the selection on the client.

Hope this helps.

Actions

This Discussion