LMS 3.2 - IS DNS Required

Unanswered Question
Dec 29th, 2009

I have just upgraded from LMS 3.1 to LMS 3.2 and I rec'd the following Errors at the end of the installation:

ERROR: DNS entry for hosts in /etc/nsswitch.conf is not available.
ERROR: Daemon Manager may not be stable without this DNS entry.
ERROR: Add the DNS entry for hosts in /etc/nsswitch.conf before starting Daemon Manager.
ERROR: Contact your system administrator for details.

We currently do not use DNS to resolve, we use the /etc/hosts file.  Is DNS required with version 3.2?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
sirbaughmf Tue, 12/29/2009 - 11:26

When I try to start dmgtd, it won't start, I get the same errors?

Joe Clarke Tue, 12/29/2009 - 11:29

Ah, you must be on Solaris 9.  On Solaris 9, there is a bug in which Apache 2.2 requires DNS.  Therefore, you will need to configure DNS, and have the hosts entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf list dns as an allowed method.  Solaris 10 does not have this limitation.

sirbaughmf Tue, 12/29/2009 - 11:35

You guessed it, Solaris 9....I don't suppose there is anyway around this?  Here's the thing, we have just our core devices identified in the /etc/hosts file, all the layer 2 devices we don't put in there, and DNS is not maintained, so when I turn on DNS I get a bunch of trash.  I wonder if there there is a patch for Apache I could install??  or a Solaris patch?

Joe Clarke Tue, 12/29/2009 - 11:44

There is currently no way around this limitation except to move to Solaris 10.  It is my understanding that this stems from a problem development caught in test, but I do not have more details at this time.

Joe Clarke Tue, 12/29/2009 - 11:51

You could always add "dns" after hosts.  That should allow all network devices to be resolved using hosts while leaving other things to DNS.

Actions

This Discussion