cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 - IS DNS Required

sirbaughmf
Level 1
Level 1

I have just upgraded from LMS 3.1 to LMS 3.2 and I rec'd the following Errors at the end of the installation:

ERROR: DNS entry for hosts in /etc/nsswitch.conf is not available.
ERROR: Daemon Manager may not be stable without this DNS entry.
ERROR: Add the DNS entry for hosts in /etc/nsswitch.conf before starting Daemon Manager.
ERROR: Contact your system administrator for details.

We currently do not use DNS to resolve, we use the /etc/hosts file.  Is DNS required with version 3.2?

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, LMS can use the hosts file just fine.

When I try to start dmgtd, it won't start, I get the same errors?

Ah, you must be on Solaris 9.  On Solaris 9, there is a bug in which Apache 2.2 requires DNS.  Therefore, you will need to configure DNS, and have the hosts entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf list dns as an allowed method.  Solaris 10 does not have this limitation.

You guessed it, Solaris 9....I don't suppose there is anyway around this?  Here's the thing, we have just our core devices identified in the /etc/hosts file, all the layer 2 devices we don't put in there, and DNS is not maintained, so when I turn on DNS I get a bunch of trash.  I wonder if there there is a patch for Apache I could install??  or a Solaris patch?

There is currently no way around this limitation except to move to Solaris 10.  It is my understanding that this stems from a problem development caught in test, but I do not have more details at this time.

Ok, thanks.

Marcie Sirbaugh

You could always add "dns" after hosts.  That should allow all network devices to be resolved using hosts while leaving other things to DNS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: