Views
Helpful
Replies

HWIC-4ESW on ISR 2821

fntowo2009
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to configure vlans for the installed HWIC-4ESW on a 2821 router running the IOS image c2800nm-advsecurityk9-mz.124-3i.bin.  I've entered the following:

R(config)# vlan ?

accounting VLAN accounting configuration

As you can see above, I'm missing the vlan configuration options (e.g. database...)?

How do I configure vlans with the above image?

Thanks,

Frank

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

fntowo2009 wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to configure vlans for the installed HWIC-4ESW on a 2821 router running the IOS image c2800nm-advsecurityk9-mz.124-3i.bin.  I've entered the following:

R(config)# vlan ?

As you can see above, I'm missing the vlan configuration options (e.g. database...)?

Thanks,

Frank

Frank

If memory serves me correct (and it may not do !!) i beleiev you have to use vlan-database mode to configure vlans on the ISR ie.

R# vlan-database

then from there you should be able to configure vlans.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

fntowo2009 wrote:

Hello,

R(config)# vlan ?

Thanks,

Frank

Frank

If memory serves me correct (and it may not do !!) i beleiev you have to use vlan-database mode to configure vlans on the ISR ie.

R# vlan-database

then from there you should be able to configure vlans.

Jon

Thanks Jon!

My mistake. I was trying to enter the vlan database in config mode...

Cheers,

Frank

My understanding is that in recent (few years) IOS, vlan configuration is not needed anymore, and vlan database

obsoleted.

Paolo

vlan-database is not the preferred way on switches these days ie. you simply configure vlans from the config prompt but there is still a need for a vlan database on the switches, you just configure it differently.

As for the ISRs, for some reason they still use vlan database mode rather than config mode to configure vlans. Not sure why.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco