cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 - Auto fill in device Management-IP into DCR

hleschin
Level 1
Level 1

We are testing currently LMS 3.2 and we import our devices into DCR via csv Bulk-Import. In the import file are only information about hostname, domain and display name included.

Now my question:

Is there a way, to force RME or DCR to fill in the managment-IP address into the device identity section after the import?

Our problem is that we need the managment-IP later when we have to create IP subnet based groups.

Best Regards

Hendrik

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Campus Manager will create subnet-based groups automatically by default.  You do not need a management IP pre-populated for that to happen.  However, if you want to run Common Services Discovery, and you setup a preferred management IP scheme in your Discovery Settings, then that will populate the management IP field in DCR.

Campus Manager will create subnet-based groups automatically by default. You do not need a management IP pre-populated for that to happen.

Yes, but this information isn't accurate enough. We need user defined goups based on (larger) self-defined IP-Ranges, because we want to manage ~5000 devices with ciscoworks in the future. These device are located in different locations and have often different policies for configuration, management settings ..., so we will need them in different user based groups.

However, if you want to run Common Services Discovery, and you setup a preferred management IP scheme in your Discovery Settings, then that will populate the management IP field in DCR.

Ok, but the problem is that we can't use the automatic device discovery via seed devices, because in our network are many devices that are not manged by my company so we can't poll them. Unfortunately these devices are often in the same IP-subnets as ours. That the reason why we have to import our devices via bulk import.

Do I understand it right that the function you have described is based on the automatic device discovery in CS ?

Best regards

Hendrik

You can also add one or more user defined fields in your bulk import and created groups based on that

E.g. add a field called "Site" and create a group in common services where Site = "site 1 name"

This will give you liberty of a policy per site

Cheers,

Michel

Yes.  I don't understand why Discovery won't work.  You could do something like a ping sweep, and find all of your managed devices while skipping those which are not SNMP-accessible.  On top of that, if you configure discovery to use DCR devices as seeds, then you can use your bulk imported devices as starting points which would greatly speed things up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: