I have a UCCX 7.0 installation that I have patched to 7.0(1) sr5 per a previous post. The layout is thus:
CMBE 7.1(3) with LDAP integration
I have created the following users in Active Directory:
When performing the integration portion in AppAdmin, I add the CTI and rmcm Servers and propogate with the jtapiUser and rmcmUser accounts respectively, however, this seems to be failing and I'm not sure where. I believe it to be due to the LDAP integration since, IIRC, the jtapi user is created by UCCX but since CMBE is LDAP, this negates adding users (like I said, I don't recall if the jtapi user is created by UCCX).
Nonetheless, I have created the accounts in LDAP and they show up in CallManager.
The error I am receiving is:
Configuration - Error
Error occurred while performing the operation. Please contact your System Administrator. You may refer to Application Administration logs for more details
Additionally, the logs are showing all sorts of things:
MADM: LIB_AXL-3-EXCEPTION in <bunches of places>
MADM-ADM_CFG-7-UNK:CallManagerConfigServlet.writeRmcmConfig - Error in writing JTAPI Config data.
As I mentioned, I read a post that stated patching the box fixes this, however, that did not appear to resolve things.
The three accounts you mentioned there are Application Users, not End Users. As such they will not exist in Active Directory. The CCX installation documentation will instruct you to create the AXL account with Super User rights. CCX will then create the second two accounts for you.