AP and number of users served.

Unanswered Question
Dec 31st, 2009

Hi all,

Iv a question related to capacity or number of users one AP can serve.

For instance, one open space without the walls and 2 APs (one 1252AG and one 1231G) and 50 people.

Is it enough to connect all people to WiFi? For instance, every AP will serve 25 people with 2Mbps BW for each.

Any idea?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Thu, 12/31/2009 - 06:09

In theory, APs can support up to 2,048 concurrent users.  However, Cisco recommends between 12 to 25 concurrent users per AP.

gabrielgr Sun, 01/03/2010 - 02:39

Could you send me an URL where Cisco recommends 12 to 25 users per one AP?

Many thanks.

rob.huffman Sun, 01/03/2010 - 07:54

Hi GG,

Just to add a clip to the excellent answers from my friends

Leo and Ryan (+5 points each guys

Here is a cisco doc that relates to this question;

Q. How many clients can associate to the AP?

A. The AP has the physical capacity to handle 2048 MAC addresses. However, because the AP is a shared medium and acts as a wireless hub, the performance of each user decreases as the number of users increases on an individual AP. Ideally, not more than 24 clients should associate with the AP because the throughput of the AP is reduced with each client that associates to the AP.

From this Q&A doc;

Hope this helps!

Ryan Curry Thu, 12/31/2009 - 09:46

In theory you should be good, but you should also look at what you're trying to achieve.  Someone who needs streaming data or large file access will probably have complaints but your average joe email user will be fine.  From my understanding you want to keep at 20 users or below.  That gives an average of 1.3 Mbps per user assuming optimal conditions under G (52/2(half duplex))/20.  Keep in mind that the further a user is away the slower everyone else will be as well (you could set the mandatory speeds higher to alleviate this).  If you can swing it, you may want to consider a third if people are complaining of speed or response.

This Discussion