cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to obtain cryptographic software images for WS-2960-48-TC-L?

murray-davis
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to get the cryptographic software image for a Cisco catalyst switch in the 2960 series? I would like to logon to these switches using SSH instead of Telnet. I searched on the Cisco software site for "crytpographic software image", but my search results didn't find a link to the image. If I search the download tree for a 2960, the only images available are the LANBASE images w/o crytpography.

I am a resident of Canada, so I know Canadian residents are eligible to receive crytpo images.

If the images are available, where can I find them? As well, are they free or does one have to purchase the crypto image files?

Thank you,

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I thought you could get them if you have a CCO account and the switch was registered as I think they have free lifetime upgrades and warranties.  Otherwise contact cisco and find out.  This is what you should be looking for once you get access " c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-52.SE.bin"  .

Right from the main product description page.

• Limited Lifetime Hardware Warranty
  • Software updates at no additional charge
  • Reza Sharifi
    Hall of Fame
    Hall of Fame

Hello Murray,

For the 2960s, all the images are LAN Base and this image will provide SSH for you.  The latest is 122-52.(see below)

and yes, both U.S and Canada are eligible to receive crytpo images.

I think, once you pay for the license the first time , you can download any of the images, since they are all LAN Base, but you may want to double check with your Cisco Rep.

LAN BASE
    c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-52.SE.bin
    Release Date: 01/Oct/2009
    Size: 8272.61 KB  (8471143 bytes)
    Minimum Memory: DRAM:64 MB  Flash:32 MB

HTH

Reza

Leo Laohoo
    Hall of Fame
    Hall of Fame

Hi Murray,

If you can't, it's always worthwhile to talk to the authorized Cisco reseller.

murray-davis
    Level 1
    Level 1

Thank you, all

As discussed in the responses, one does need a CCO account in order to download any software. As many know, all you need to do is put a single SmartNet contract on a single Cisco device in order to be eligible to request a CCO account. You can put the Cisco SmartNet contract on the oldest, least costly device to minimize the cost of the SmartNet contract, but you might as well put it on a critical device. Smartnet contracts work on a "per device" basis.  If you have 24 switches and a Smartnet contract on switch A and if switch Z dies, you cannot use the SmartNet contract to replace switch A, only switch Z. The SmartNet contracts are registered on the Serial Number of the switch.

You can download any IOS images for any Cisco device with a single SmartNet contract. You also do not need to purchase a special license to download a crypto licence, you just need a CCO account and democratic ideals.

As Glenn and Reza point out, the image that I needed was the K9 (crypto) image. I was just a bit confused by the way that Cisco desribes the images. For example, here are Cisco's descriptions:

LAN BASE W/O CRYPTO                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      c2960-lanbase-mz.122-52.SE.bin

LAN BASE                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-52.SE.bin

Hey, Cisco why not add "C/W Crypto"?

For example, LAN BASE                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      C/W CRYPTO c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-52.SE.bin

Although, had I read beforehand the release notes for the k9 image, I would have seen that it did support "SSH"..

Also, when you generate the key, you have the option of using between a 360 bit and 2048 bit RSA key. You need both a domain name and a hostname to generate the key. As well, after you generate the key, the hash of the key appears in the config along with a few lines of additionall config.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card