Views
Helpful
Replies

Span & wireshark to see p-bits and vlan tags

jradke
Level 1
Level 1

Problem:

I do not see 802.1Q tags nor do I see p-bits (COS) in my wireshark captures. My setup is not working and I have no way to verify (sniff) that the 6509 is setting the p-bits to 3. I need to see them to troubleshoot effectively. Help!

Setup:

I am port mirroring off of my 6509. Port 1/16 should be tagging and setting the p-bits to a value of 3. How can I confirm?

interface GigabitEthernet1/16

description DonkX

no ip address

load-interval 30

mls qos cos 3       ! I've tried my tests with and without this command

mls qos cos trust      ! I've tried my tests with and without this command

switchport

switchport access vlan 941

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 941

switchport mode trunk

no cdp enable

end

sho mon
Session 1
---------
Type                   : Local Session
Source Ports           :
    Both               : Gi1/16
Destination Ports      : Gi8/47

Port G1/16 is the GE uplink to DonkX

Port G8/47 is the Windows 2003 Server with wireshark.

Port G8/9 is my RH4 Linux box with TCPdump.

Steps taken to resolve the problem:

I have followed this document to set this up correctly on my windows box with a Intel Proset 1000MT. I have updated the drivers and made the registry changes with no captures showing tagging/cos information.

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-005897.htm

Regardless of my settings, this document says I shouldn't have to worry about drivers:

http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/VLAN

"You'll definitely see the VLAN tags, regardless of what OS the independent system is running or what type of network adapter you're using."

Details:

I am testing a new GPON access product (DonkX) that uplinks via GigE using trunking and setting p-bits. To prioritize my video the new DonkX sets the p-bits to 3 and it instantly ceases that traffic. I have only unidirectional traffic at this point so I can no longer arp, icmp, ftp, tftp, noth'n. The 6509 sends back a response to DonkX but I believe it is dropped because the p-bit is not set to 3. If I remove the priority from 3 to 0 on the DonkX system then it works correctly but without QoS of course.

-JGR

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello JGR,

int gi8/47

switchport

swichport trunk enc dot1q

switchport mode trunk

the SPAN destination port has to be set for trunking to see 802.1Q tags in mirrored traffic

see

SPAN copies Layer 2 Ethernet frames, but SPAN does not copy source trunk port ISL or 802.1Q tags. You can configure destination ports as trunks to send locally tagged traffic to the traffic analyzer.

A destination port configured as a trunk tags traffic from a Layer 3 LAN source port with the internal VLAN used by the Layer 3 LAN port.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/span.html#wp1059824

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello JGR,

int gi8/47

switchport

swichport trunk enc dot1q

switchport mode trunk

the SPAN destination port has to be set for trunking to see 802.1Q tags in mirrored traffic

see

SPAN copies Layer 2 Ethernet frames, but SPAN does not copy source trunk port ISL or 802.1Q tags. You can configure destination ports as trunks to send locally tagged traffic to the traffic analyzer.

A destination port configured as a trunk tags traffic from a Layer 3 LAN source port with the internal VLAN used by the Layer 3 LAN port.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/span.html#wp1059824

Hope to help

Giuseppe

You are absolutely right! Thank you!

Alright, the saga continues. I saw tagged frames last week but began troubleshooting again this morning and can't see tagged frames!

If I remove the span then I can see tagged traffic on g8/47 (Windows 2003 Server 802.1q not configured on NIC). If I turn on monitoring I see no tagged traffic. I also tried this on a laptop running Fedora 12 (on g8/47) and had the same results. Any ideas?

I've mirrored another trunk port that is in production passing tagged traffic to an 3560 trunked and going to an ASA. The port to the 3560 and ASA (g3/7) requires tagging and works properly; however, I cannot see tags on this port either. Do you see anything obvious here or is this looking like a tac case?

interface GigabitEthernet1/16

description DonkX

no ip address

load-interval 30

switchport

switchport trunk allowed vlan 941

switchport mode trunk

no cdp enable

end

!
interface GigabitEthernet8/47
no ip address
switchport
switchport mode trunk
no cdp enable
end
!
conf t
no mon sess 1
mon sess 1 sourc int g1/16
mon sess 1 dest int g8/47
!

sho mon

Session 1

---------

Type                   : Local Session

Source Ports           :

Both               : Gi1/16

Destination Ports      : Gi8/47

Unit details:
WS-C6509 Version 12.2(18)SXD4
NAME: "1", DESCR: "WS-X6516A-GBIC SFM-capable 16 port 1000mb GBIC Rev. 4.2"
PID: WS-X6516A-GBIC
NAME: "8", DESCR: "WS-X6748-GE-TX CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet Rev. 2.3"
PID: WS-X6748-GE-TX
NAME: "6", DESCR: "WS-SUP720-BASE 2 ports Supervisor Engine 720 Rev. 3.1"
PID: WS-SUP720-BASE
NAME: "msfc sub-module of 6", DESCR: "WS-SUP720 MSFC3 Daughterboard Rev. 2.3"
PID: WS-SUP720
NAME: "switching engine sub-module of 6", DESCR: "WS-F6K-PFC3A Policy Feature Card 3 Rev. 2.4"
PID: WS-F6K-PFC3A

Quick follow-up on my old post. Not seeing the tags was a span bug. The simple fix is to choose a higher session number. For instance I tried the same source/destination ports but as session 3 and it works. This was determined through a TAC case.

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but do you have the bug ID?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: