Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM activation key question

moahmed1981
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have 6500 switch with FWSM and it is working fine. i noted that when issuing "show version" command on the fwsm , its activation key appears as following :

Running Activation Key: 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000

i tried to check that in another firewall module for another customer and found the same activation key.

is that a normal activation key or not ????

waiting your replies 

regards

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

moahmed1981 wrote:

Hi all

I have 6500 switch with FWSM and it is working fine. i noted that when issuing "show version" command on the fwsm , its activation key appears as following :

Running Activation Key: 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000

i tried to check that in another firewall module for another customer and found the same activation key.

is that a normal activation key or not ????

waiting your replies 

regards

If the FWSM is running the base license ie. 3 contexts ( 1 admin + 2 user contexts) then that is fine and it is nothing to worry about.

If you wanted to upgrade the FWSM to run a greater number of contexts you would then get an activation key when you purchased the new context license and this would show when you ran a "sh version".

But as i say, nothing to worry about.

Jon

I have not touched the FWSM since May 2007 but from what I remembered, "Running Activation Key: 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000"  will allow you to have only 64k of ACL, whereas if you have a real activation key, you can increase the ACL from 64k to 128k.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It just a default license comes with cisco 6500 with FWSM module with having 1 admin context and 2 context and following will be default with this activation key.

Maximum Interfaces          : 256
Inside Hosts                : Unlimited
Failover                    : Active/Active
VPN-DES                     : Enabled
VPN-3DES-AES                : Enabled
Cut-through Proxy           : Enabled
Guards                      : Enabled
URL Filtering               : Enabled
Security Contexts           : 2
GTP/GPRS                    : Disabled
BGP Stub                    : Disabled
Service Acceleration        : Disabled
VPN Peers                   : Unlimited

It is normal and FWSM will work perfectly fine without any problem.

Hope that Helps out your query !!

Regards

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: