cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing a 7940G phone from SIP to SCCP?

daniel.vaughn
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently running CME 4.1 and have two phones, one 7960g and one 7940g, connected and working fine.  I bought 5 more 7940g phones off of ebay to practice hunt groups, paging etc...  The problem, they came configured as SIP phones, and even after resetting the phones to the factory defaults, they continue to boot up as a SIP phone, versus a SCCP phone.  Does anyone know the procedure to reset the phone to factory settings without it reverting back to the SIP configuration?

I found this article, but not sure I'm following it real well.  Is this saying I have to completely load SIP load and config files, have the phones boot up, and then change some txt file?  Very confusing......

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.....

Dan

12 Replies 12

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are tens of posts on the subject, have you searched ?

Yes, and keep coming up with the same answer.  Cisco has a link cover this, but I've read that article

several times, and still don't understand the part where you modify the "txt" file with the SCCP firmware file?

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a0080094584.shtml

I think I understand the theory of the article pretty well, and I have downloaded all the software I need, but I think this article is geared towards CCM and not CME, and not sure if I can modify a txt file with CME.  I can't even find an associated text file with CME and SIP?

Dan

I mean, search in this forum.

Now, from the document:

OS79XX.TXT—This file tells the Cisco 7940/7960 which binary to download from the TFTP server. This file is case sensitive and must only       contain the name of the file that you want to load, without the .bin extension

Right, I read that, but where do I find the OS79XX.TXT

file to modify?

Also, I have tried to restore the phone to factory defaults, but it still boots up as a SIP phone.  There is a passwo

rd setup on the phone, so I have no access to change settings with the phone, is there

password recovery procedure or another way to force the phone back to factory default which will clear the password?  I used the "hold the #", hit the 123456789*0#, and then selected the no# 2 to "not" save network settings, but it still returns to the SIP boot up...

Prepare the txt file. The document also gives you examples. However, do specify the .loads extension. Copy it to router and configure tftp-server for it

Then do "debug tftp events" and term mon so you can observe the boot process.

All this has been mentioned countless times in threads here.

You know, I've used this site to solve issues, and never felt lectured.  I mentioned that I "did" search, and could not find the information you're referring to.  If you would repost it, that would be great, if you don't want to, that's fine also.  But to lecture me with comments that the information has been posted many times doesn't help me a bit if "I" can't find it.  Matter fact, I believe you have helped with with several issues, and always appreciated your input.

I'll search again and see what I can come up with, otherwise, I'll hit up some long time Cisco employee engineer friends, and see if they can assist.  I don't like using them since they are working for a living and this is a lab thing, but I know they'll help if I just ask....

Consider this one done.

Thanks

Dan

I have not lectured anyone, In two on my replies I gave you factual information that apparently you cannot put to use.

Instead of complaining, just try harder as anybody else.

1. Download SIPDefault.cnf from Cisco site.

2. Open it up with wordpad

3. Change the default image_version: P0S30202 or whatever it is to P00303010405 (sccp load)

4. Copy both the SIPDefault.cnf and the SCCP load (P00303010405) into the TFTPPath folder

5. Reset the phone

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a0080094584.shtml

MK

Thanks Might King!

MK,

That may work, however it is also needed to either configure the phone as SIP voice pool, or manually the necessary-tftp statements.

Also, the loads are now made of three files, not a single one.

Hi All,

I believe that you all has experience in using SIP phone for third party sip server. I had a problem here, wonder if you can help me.

Recently I had successfully convert a cisco 7911 phone to load with SIP firmware. And this phone is successfully registered with the SIP server. We can make phone call to the fro the phone.

However, there is one problem. When we use this sip phone to call to site that had auto attendant(Please press 1 for sale, 2 for support, etct). When we key in the above option, the number is not taken in. Is there any other things that we need to do on the cnf.xml file?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: