cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ME-6524 chassis support for IPSec VPNs

frobayo
Level 1
Level 1

I've tried establishing IPSec tunnels unsuccessfully.  Has anyone experienced the same issue?  Is it a software or hardware issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello F,

I may be wrong but I don't think you have a chance to make IPSec working on the box. It is not listed in the data sheet and there is no HW for encryption it would rise the cpu usage to 100% with few traffic.

the presence of unsupported commands in IOS CLI can be seen as a defect. The CLI parser has not been customized correctly.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Frobayo,

it should be an hardware problem: a cisco C6500 can install a service module for doing IPSec VPN but the ME 6524 has not possibility to install it.

see the datasheet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/switches/ps6568/ps6845/ps6846/product_data_sheet0900aecd8040657e.html

you can use it for MPLS VPN or for L2TPv3 not for IPsec

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for your prompt response.  The odd thing is that the ME-6524 software is specific to this platform, which also have crypto commands available, but the functionality seems disabled.

#sho cryp engine conf

crypto engine name:  Cisco VPN Software Implementation

crypto engine type:  software

serial number:  000021xxx

crypto engine state:  installed

crypto engine in slot:  N/A

platform:  Cisco Software Crypto Engine

Crypto Adjacency Counts:

Lock Count:  0

Unlock Count:  0

crypto lib version:  18.0.0

Any other suggestions/ideas for encrypting traffic using this platform?

Thanks,

F

Hello F,

I may be wrong but I don't think you have a chance to make IPSec working on the box. It is not listed in the data sheet and there is no HW for encryption it would rise the cpu usage to 100% with few traffic.

the presence of unsupported commands in IOS CLI can be seen as a defect. The CLI parser has not been customized correctly.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card