Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS filesystem

Jeff
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am somewhat new to configuring Cisco products, in fact I am still preparing to take the CCNA exam, so forgive me for my ignorance in this question, but I am unable to find and answer.  I recently purchased a 1760 and 1760-v router running IOS ver 12.4(15)T with image c1700.adventerprisek9.mx.124-15T, and I have been experimenting with various Cisco phones.  I have been able to get most of them working but in the process of configuring the 7960 I ran into the problem of being unable to issue the mkdir command to create a directory in flash.  Turns out that I am running a Class B flash file system.  My question is how do i convert it to a Class C flash file system.  I am under the impression it can be done because the 7970 admin guide says that some commands like mkdir may not be available in certain IOS's in which case convert to a Class C file system.   The format flash: command currently does not work for me.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, and once again I am sorry for my ignorance in this matter.

Thanks

-Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Jeff,

if this is a home lab you can think of using a PC based TFTP server: on the C1760 DCHP pool you can use option 150 to indicate a TFTP server this quite common in CUCM deployments.

See this example we used for a branch

ip dhcp pool VOICE

network 10.110.224.144 255.255.255.248

default-router 10.110.224.145

dns-server 10.98.112.32 10.55.0.32

netbios-name-server 10.52.64.37 10.24.128.151

option 150 ip 10.98.67.5 10.55.61.4

lease 0 1

option 150 points to the TFTP servers that in our case are part of a CCM cluster.

To know if this is compatible with CME on your router you can put a question in the IP telephony forum.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe,

Thank you very much for the fast response.  I followed your instructions and read throught the pdf link.  After erasing flash: and squeezing flash: I restarted the router and using tftpdnld I reloaded the IOS image, however I am still unable to issue an mkdir command to create a directory in flash:  I'm not sure what I am doing wrong or is it just not possible to create a directory on the 1760?

Many Thanks

-Jeff

Hello Jeffrey,

I may be wrong but I'm afraid that the procedure is valid only for the 3600 platform: generally as explained in the link a router or switch platform has a specific filesystem and stays with it all the time.

The c3600 is mentioned there as a special case of a device capable to migrate to another filesystem.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

Thank you very much for your help, I think my suspicions have been confirmed that the class C filesystem commands that have been activated in the 1760 are too limited for my needs (not being able to make directories in the flash:).  At this point I think I will have to upgrade to a 2801 router with the native class C flash filesystem.  Thank you again for your help.

Many Thanks

-Jeff

Hello Jeff,

if this is a home lab you can think of using a PC based TFTP server: on the C1760 DCHP pool you can use option 150 to indicate a TFTP server this quite common in CUCM deployments.

See this example we used for a branch

ip dhcp pool VOICE

network 10.110.224.144 255.255.255.248

default-router 10.110.224.145

dns-server 10.98.112.32 10.55.0.32

netbios-name-server 10.52.64.37 10.24.128.151

option 150 ip 10.98.67.5 10.55.61.4

lease 0 1

option 150 points to the TFTP servers that in our case are part of a CCM cluster.

To know if this is compatible with CME on your router you can put a question in the IP telephony forum.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

Thank you very much for the help.  This was a home lab so I took your advice and set up a computer just for TFTP access and the backgrounds are working great.

Thank you very much

-Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco