cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Autonomous AP: Security

colmgrier
Level 1
Level 1

Customer has purchased several auto APs and wish to deploy two WLANs for staff and public. What is the best practice for deploying security for both WLANs. No exteral radius server will be used.

Do the below APs provide a web login page for customers?

AIR-AP1141N-E-K9 x 4

Thanks,

Colm

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WPA2/AES so you can use 802.11n.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Wait, i dont think 1141, autonomous access points are out yet ?!?

Regardless, for the staff you would want to apply whatever means you can as supported by the clients. WPA2 PSK / AES would be the best, outside of not using a radius server.

For public, open authenication with a guest appliance, since you mentioned some type of guest screen.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

The autonomous IOS for 1140 has been out since 25 September 2009. 

lol... oh gezzz... where have i been the last 3 months and missed that memo!

thanks for pointing that out ... 5 stars for my education ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

No worries. 

For public, open authenication with a guest appliance, since you mentioned some type of guest screen

Do autonomous AP provide a web login?

Thanks all for the previous posts.

By default, HTTP is on while HTTPS is disabled.  You can use your web browser and enter http://IP_Address ought to work.

Sorry I meant do autonomous AP provide a web login splash page for guests? The 4400 WLC provides this feature.

yup ... you can http into the ... But what fun is that CLI is so much better !

Do autonomous APs provide a login page for guests for authenication?

You can re-direct guest to go to a specific website for splash page and/or authentication but unless you know what you are doing it just ain't easy.  Sounds like this is a job for a WLC.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: