cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How does device status get updates on CM topology?

mohdnazmi
Level 1
Level 1

I can have devices topology display under LMS campus manager. The topology also indicates the status of devices whether its alive (green) or dead (red). What are the method used by CM to get this information? Is it solely by SNMP polling? There is a polling variable a user can set, by default 2 hrs. Isn't 2 hrs is quite too long for someone to realize whether the device is already down or up? Does LMS uses ICMP to track the availability of devices as well?

3 Replies 3

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

The topology view should not be used as an availablilty view.

It is just meant to show the topology. And it uses SNMP to check the status of the hosts but also the links between the hosts.

You can make it show the DFM flags to get a more realtime indication for the hosts of any issues.

Cheers,

Michel

Hi,

Some people like to used it as an availability view just because it nice graphical view. I guess in

order to speed up the real time status, user can perform data collection manually.

I believe DFM flag only updates indicator without changing the color of the icon, right?

regards

nazmi

"michel.hegeraat"

sco.com> To

Mohd Nazmi Mahmud

04-01-10 08:42 PM cc

Subject

Please respond to New message: "How does

"cisco-support@sgaur.hosted. device status get

updates on CM

jivesoftware.com" topology?"

jivesoftware.com>

mohdnazmi,

A new message was posted in the Discussion thread "How does device status get updates on CM

topology?":

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/2012128#2012128

Author : Michel Hegeraat

Profile : https://supportforums.cisco.com/people/michel.hegeraat

Indeed, just a litlle flag next to the icon appears.

I hope in the future reachability events and other major ones can change the color.

Cheers,

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: