What does "shape average percent" mean in the QOS policy

Answered Question
Jan 4th, 2010
User Badges:

I am working at a client site that is an MPLS customer.  The customer has an MPLS circuit that runs between their Main HQ and their Disaster Recovery site.  I have been asked to analyze and report as well on the way the Qos Policy is written, and to provide any recommendations on how they can improve performance.

There is a statement within the Qos Policy as it exists at each end on the 3825 routers.  The statement is called "shape average percent".  Here is the policy from one side:

policy-map QoS

class COS2_traffic

set dscp af31

shape average percent 12

bandwidth percent 13

class COS3_traffic

set dscp af21

shape average percent 27

bandwidth percent 28

random detect dscp-based

class class-default

fair-queue

random detect

What does this statement mean and how is it different than the the "bandwidth percent" statement?

Thanks

Kevin

Correct Answer by Jon Marshall about 7 years 2 months ago

k-melton wrote:

I am working at a client site that is an MPLS customer.  The customer has an MPLS circuit that runs between their Main HQ and their Disaster Recovery site.  I have been asked to analyze and report as well on the way the Qos Policy is written, and to provide any recommendations on how they can improve performance.

There is a statement within the Qos Policy as it exists at each end on the 3825 routers.  The statement is called "shape average percent".  Here is the policy from one side:

policy-map QoS

class COS2_traffic

set dscp af31

shape average percent 12

bandwidth percent 13

class COS3_traffic

set dscp af21

shape average percent 27

bandwidth percent 28

random detect dscp-based

class class-default

fair-queue

random detect

What does this statement mean and how is it different than the the "bandwidth percent" statement?

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin

The bandwidth percent is a minimum bandwidth guarantee so if there is spare bandwidth that can be used from other classes it will be used.

The shape average percent is a maximum bandwidth guarantee so any packets above that bandwidth will be queued and sent when there is spare bandwidth within that class.

So they are doing 2 fundamentally different things.

Jon

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Jon Marshall Mon, 01/04/2010 - 07:59
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

k-melton wrote:

policy-map QoS

class COS2_traffic

set dscp af31

shape average percent 12

bandwidth percent 13

class COS3_traffic

set dscp af21

shape average percent 27

bandwidth percent 28

random detect dscp-based

class class-default

fair-queue

random detect

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin

The bandwidth percent is a minimum bandwidth guarantee so if there is spare bandwidth that can be used from other classes it will be used.

The shape average percent is a maximum bandwidth guarantee so any packets above that bandwidth will be queued and sent when there is spare bandwidth within that class.

So they are doing 2 fundamentally different things.

Jon

Santosh Shetty Tue, 06/19/2012 - 20:28
User Badges:

I have a query, in above example how these command workd together

shape average percent 27                 << is this 27% of total BW available?

bandwidht percent 28                     

As per the above explanation it's look like Min BW allocated is 28% and Maximum 27%. Should it not be Min BW value lower than Max BW value?

Actions

This Discussion