cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What does "shape average percent" mean in the QOS policy

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

I am working at a client site that is an MPLS customer.  The customer has an MPLS circuit that runs between their Main HQ and their Disaster Recovery site.  I have been asked to analyze and report as well on the way the Qos Policy is written, and to provide any recommendations on how they can improve performance.

There is a statement within the Qos Policy as it exists at each end on the 3825 routers.  The statement is called "shape average percent".  Here is the policy from one side:

policy-map QoS

class COS2_traffic

set dscp af31

shape average percent 12

bandwidth percent 13

class COS3_traffic

set dscp af21

shape average percent 27

bandwidth percent 28

random detect dscp-based

class class-default

fair-queue

random detect

What does this statement mean and how is it different than the the "bandwidth percent" statement?

Thanks

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

k-melton wrote:

I am working at a client site that is an MPLS customer.  The customer has an MPLS circuit that runs between their Main HQ and their Disaster Recovery site.  I have been asked to analyze and report as well on the way the Qos Policy is written, and to provide any recommendations on how they can improve performance.

There is a statement within the Qos Policy as it exists at each end on the 3825 routers.  The statement is called "shape average percent".  Here is the policy from one side:

policy-map QoS

class COS2_traffic

set dscp af31

shape average percent 12

bandwidth percent 13

class COS3_traffic

set dscp af21

shape average percent 27

bandwidth percent 28

random detect dscp-based

class class-default

fair-queue

random detect

What does this statement mean and how is it different than the the "bandwidth percent" statement?

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin

The bandwidth percent is a minimum bandwidth guarantee so if there is spare bandwidth that can be used from other classes it will be used.

The shape average percent is a maximum bandwidth guarantee so any packets above that bandwidth will be queued and sent when there is spare bandwidth within that class.

So they are doing 2 fundamentally different things.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

k-melton wrote:

policy-map QoS

class COS2_traffic

set dscp af31

shape average percent 12

bandwidth percent 13

class COS3_traffic

set dscp af21

shape average percent 27

bandwidth percent 28

random detect dscp-based

class class-default

fair-queue

random detect

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin

The bandwidth percent is a minimum bandwidth guarantee so if there is spare bandwidth that can be used from other classes it will be used.

The shape average percent is a maximum bandwidth guarantee so any packets above that bandwidth will be queued and sent when there is spare bandwidth within that class.

So they are doing 2 fundamentally different things.

Jon

I have a query, in above example how these command workd together

shape average percent 27                 << is this 27% of total BW available?

bandwidht percent 28                     

As per the above explanation it's look like Min BW allocated is 28% and Maximum 27%. Should it not be Min BW value lower than Max BW value?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card