cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BNC E1 interface on a 2821?

gkonowal1
Level 1
Level 1

I ordered 2 E1's (4M total) from an ISP in Amman Jordan (Zain) and the only interface they supply is BNC.  How do I interface with this?   Does the NM-1T3/E3 do 4M subrate?

10 Replies 10

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Using VWIC-2MFT-xxx or HWIC-4T1/E1, in both cases, CAB-E1-RJ45BNC.

Regarding NM-E3/T3, you cannot connect it to E1 interfaces. Subrate does not mean doing that.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gregory,

you need a so called balun that implements a conversion from RJ-45 120 ohm to BNC pair 75 ohm

see

Cisco CAB-E1-RJ45BNC E1 CABLE

http://www.usedcisco.com/cisco/cab-e1-rj45bnc?cse_source=nextag

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Baluns are not necessary anymore. The referenced cable is not a balun, just a phisical adapter,

The Cisco 4-Port Clear Channel T1/E1 HWIC is software-configurable between E1 or T1 operation, balanced or unbalanced E1 termination, and CSU/DSU

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/product_data_sheet0900aecd80710c77.html

Same is true for all currently produced cards.

gkonowal1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Not connecting to E3, the ISP is providing 2- E1's for a total of 4M BW......the NM-1T3/E3 was the only module I found in the cataloge but I didnt know if it supported subrate (4M) traffic.

thx

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Greg,

It does support subrate. You will need 12.3(8)T IOS.

Cisco 2800

Subrate T3/E3 with concurrent services

12.3(8)T

You will also need a BNC to RJ45 connector.

ttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/ps4909/product_data_sheet09186a008010fba2.html

HTH

Reza

It does support subrate. You will need 12.3(8)T IOS.

As mentioned before. T3/E3 subrate DOES NOT allow to connect a T1 or E1 circuit.

Hi Paolo,

So, does it have to connect to a T3/ET to subrate?

Reza

So, does it have to connect to a T3/ET to subrate?

He have to use one of T1/E1 cards indicated above, to connect the E1 circuits.

so options......

I will be getting 2 seperate E1's from the ISP on cable.  They will use PPP to combine into 4M usable BW.

1) I can use the 4-Port Clear Channel T1/E1 High-Speed WAN Interface Card (RJ jack interface), I will still need to convert from BNC to ENet? correct? or

2) Use the NM-1T3/E3 with the 12.3(8)T IOS? cable interface....correct on both or is one incorrect?

1) I can use the 4-Port Clear Channel T1/E1 High-Speed WAN Interface Card (RJ jack interface),

Yes, as indicated before.

I will still need to convert from BNC to ENet? correct? or

Use the cable indicated before.

2) Use the NM-1T3/E3 with the 12.3(8)T IOS? cable interface....correct on both or is one incorrect?

Cannot use NM-1T3/E3, as indicated before.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card