Helpful
Replies

limit to 700MB/s

hostpartner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need your help, i have switch cisco WS-C3508G-XL-EN, and i can't

exceed 700MB/s on my uplink, i would like to know if it's normaly on this switch total of traffic on this switch on all ports is 1.4GB

can you help mee please?

regards

Arnaud
3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are kidding, right?  I mean the WS-C3508XL-EN (it doesn't matter what IOS you are running) is not built to push 1Gb traffic on a single Gig interface.

Portable Product Sheets – Switching Performance
http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/switchperformance.pdf

Hello Leo,

the document you have linked for 3500 XL says:

3500-XL 8,000,000 pps  10.8 Gbps of switching fabric

in theory it should be able to deal with 5 Gbps of traffic, the question is that datasheet are written with marketing purposes and all numbers should be halfed because they count separately tx and rx traffic.

1488000 pps are required per direction for a GE port using 64 bytes frames (minimum size)

it gives us 2,68 GE ports full duplex with minimum size.

Also the fabric is built in such a way that user ports to uplink port is the "stronger" side but for example performances between user ports or between uplink ports are lower.

With 1,4 Gbps on user ports how much traffic is local (between user ports), probably only a small percentage.

So the question may be also where users are connected, if for example a server is connected on second GE port, performance on moving traffic between GE ports is less than what is declared on the "strong" direction and this could explain the observed behaviuor.

These devices are legacy and cause a lot of problems also at the management level their IOS including last one is affected by bugs that make them unmanageable from time to time

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for the correction, Giuseppe. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco