Upgrade path for Cisco EIM/WIM v4.2(5)

Answered Question
Jan 5th, 2010

Hi all,

I need some help in understanding what is required to deploy Cisco EIM/WIM v4.2(5) for Cisco UCCE.

a) media kit received contained v4.2(1), 3rd party tools, v4.2(4a) SR & v4.2(5a) MR

b) based on the docs, v4.2(1) needs to be installed first followed by v4.2(4a) SR and then v4.2(5a) MR

Some concerns/questions i have is

a) Since v4.2(1) only supports SQL 2000 and v4.2(5) only supports SQL 2005, does that mean i'll require to purchase both SQL 2000 & SQL 2005? Can I install v.4.2(1) directly on SQL 2005?

b) Since v4.2(1) only supports BEA WebLogic, is there a way to change it to JBoss when upgrading to v4.2(5)? If so, any idea how that can be done? If not mistaken this is possible when upgrading to v4.3(1).

c) Is there a way to directly install v4.2(5) without going to the mentioned upgrade path

Thanks!

-JT-

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by matthewpage about 6 years 10 months ago

Hi JT

That is great news!! You should probably mark the post to resolved if it fixed your issue.

Yeah i have had problems doing that before. It should work if you just run the test on a seperate PC. You can only ever log into single instance of CIM at any one time on a PC. Have you tried running it on a two seperate PCs?

I believe for the port requirements i am pretty sure that is in the SRND or the Install guide. Have you checked that?

Thanks!

Matt

Correct Answer by matthewpage about 6 years 10 months ago

Hi

I am affraid your going to have more luck just reinstalling the thing than trying to down grade from experience. Also as you said your issue is pointing to Weblogic and Java. You can always install that again with out have to reinstall CIM. The JDK needs to be on the services server not the database server.

Have you spoken to TAC again about this?

Also is this a production enviroment because you should actually have a 3rd server for the web server component which should be in front of the firewall.

Thanks,

Matt

Correct Answer by matthewpage about 6 years 11 months ago

HI JT

There is currently no way to directly upgrade to 4.2(5) and 4.2(1) does not support SQL 2005 you need to go through a 3 phased upgrade. You will need to do the following:

Install 4.2(1) with SQL 2000

Upgrade 4.2(1) to 4.2(4)

You then need to do the following to get it to 4.2(5)

Backup Active, Master and Archive Databases

Unistall SQL 2000

Delete any Every thing to do with SQL 2000 that may be left over

Install SQL 2005 with SP2

Install New Weblogic 9.2

Restore DBs you backed up to SQL 2005

Run the dbupgrade tool. (This is on the 4.2(5) CD and DO NOT USE the 4.2.4 dbupgrade wizard)

You can then run the 4.2.5 upgrade patch.

I have done this a number of times and can say it is a bit of a nightmare :-(. There are a number of ESs you should apply when you get to 4.2.5. I believe your need ES1-5 but it depends what features your using. You can just open a TAC case for that and they will tell you which ones you need.

In regards to the SQL purchase you will need to get a copy of both versions. I would not buy a copy of 2000 as you only need it temporary. You will need a license for 2005 though.

If this is a new installation i would recommend just waiting for CIM 4.3 it is much better product and uses JBoss as standard. Also if you are intergrating this with UCCE 7.5 then it is only supported with 4.3

HTH

Thanks,

Matt

Overall Rating: 5 (4 ratings)
Correct Answer
matthewpage Tue, 01/05/2010 - 04:06

HI JT

There is currently no way to directly upgrade to 4.2(5) and 4.2(1) does not support SQL 2005 you need to go through a 3 phased upgrade. You will need to do the following:

Install 4.2(1) with SQL 2000

Upgrade 4.2(1) to 4.2(4)

You then need to do the following to get it to 4.2(5)

Backup Active, Master and Archive Databases

Unistall SQL 2000

Delete any Every thing to do with SQL 2000 that may be left over

Install SQL 2005 with SP2

Install New Weblogic 9.2

Restore DBs you backed up to SQL 2005

Run the dbupgrade tool. (This is on the 4.2(5) CD and DO NOT USE the 4.2.4 dbupgrade wizard)

You can then run the 4.2.5 upgrade patch.

I have done this a number of times and can say it is a bit of a nightmare :-(. There are a number of ESs you should apply when you get to 4.2.5. I believe your need ES1-5 but it depends what features your using. You can just open a TAC case for that and they will tell you which ones you need.

In regards to the SQL purchase you will need to get a copy of both versions. I would not buy a copy of 2000 as you only need it temporary. You will need a license for 2005 though.

If this is a new installation i would recommend just waiting for CIM 4.3 it is much better product and uses JBoss as standard. Also if you are intergrating this with UCCE 7.5 then it is only supported with 4.3

HTH

Thanks,

Matt

lohjintiam Fri, 01/22/2010 - 02:17

Hi Matt,

Do you know if there is a significant improvement (new feature/fixes) specifically for web chat to make it worthwhile to upgrade it to v4.2(5)?

Also, what is the process to

a) upgrade v4.2(5) to v4.3(1)

b) change from using Weblogic to JBoss during the upgrade process

Thanks!

-JT-

matthewpage Fri, 01/22/2010 - 13:05

HI JT

I would say the product is much more stable and usable on 4.2(5). Saying that though I havent used WIM a massive amount out side of a lab but i would still recommend 4.2(5) over 4.2(1) just for the stability of the system.

If this is a new installation as i said before i would wait for 4.3. This is currently avaliable for fresh installations. Still not avaliable for upgrades though. This should be out next couple of weeks.

Also your correct in that the upgrade from 4.2(5) you need to change to JBOSS.

HTH

Matt

lohjintiam Sat, 01/23/2010 - 06:47

Hi Matt,

For Cisco WIM deployment, what license should we be getting? I got a feeling something is missed out. Currently I'm having

a) CIH Platform - Advanced

b) Data Adapter

c) Cobrowse

If not mistaken for the latest version there is a separate Chat license. Reason being currently in my Administration-Department, I can't see any Chat resource (where we create the entry points/templates). Both the agent assignment service in System-Shared Resources & Partition is running. I'm not sure if something was messed up during installation (v4.2.1) / license is incorrect. And could the reason why i'm getting the following error "I18N_EGPL_ROUTING_RETRIEVE_ROUTE_TO_DATA_FOR_QUEUE_FAILED" when trying to assign the Route chat to users in the Relationship tab of my chat queue.

Have you come across that before? Thanks!

-JT-

matthewpage Sat, 01/23/2010 - 09:29

Hi JT

Do you know if it worked at all when you was on 4.2.1?  You should have two license sent to you from cisco. Are you able to take a screen shot of them?

I do know there is a bug with the license in 4.2(5) as well which i hit every time but sounds a bit different to yours. I have the ES which i can upload but probably best if you can take a screen shot of the files so i can check you have the correct license.

Thanks,

Matt

lohjintiam Sat, 01/23/2010 - 09:52

Hi Matt,

Currently I'm in v4.2(1) and trying to make a basic end-to-end chat work 1st before thinking about upgrading it. I'm having a 2-server architecture (app, file, web, services in one server and just db in another server).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-JT-

matthewpage Sun, 01/24/2010 - 03:00

Hi JT

Those license files look ok you have a 15 seat CIM license. Make sure if you have two NICs that the second one is disabled. Also before you login into CIM you see 3 buttons Login, About and Help. If you press About there is a tab for license. Make sure that you see the 15 Seat Unified CIM show up. If just see licenses for CIH Platform then the license has not been uploaded by the system correctly.

Thanks,

Matt

lohjintiam Sun, 01/24/2010 - 03:16

Hi Matt,

I don't think the license was loaded into the system accordingly as i can't see Unified WIM in it. Is there a way to 'reload' the license? The way i uploaded the license was just to copy both files into /config/license folder and start the Cisco service.

"Make sure if you have two NICs that the second one is disabled" <- dual NIC will create other issues?

Thanks!

-JT-

matthewpage Sun, 01/24/2010 - 03:43

HI

The license is assigned to a MAC address so if you have other NICs available it may cause issues. As the system maybe comparing the wrong NIC. I dont believe you can "Reload" the license. I am all most certain you are hitting a bug with the license file. There are a number around :-(. Below is the most common:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps7233/products_tech_note09186a0080a8c0bc.shtml

I know your symptoms do not match "Exactly" but I had the same issue as you and just upgraded to 4.2(5) and then applied ES1. That fixed all my problems. I have attached ES1 for you. If you are still not to sure then i would probably open a TAC case but they are probably going to tell you to upgrade to 4.2.4 or 4.2.5 first.

If you decide to upgrade to 4.2.5 please also take note of the following:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps7233/products_tech_note09186a0080a72faf.shtml

You need to make sure that the collation in SQL is set to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI. The above guide exsplains how to check this and change it if it is incorrect.

Thanks,

Matt

(Edit)

The patch is to large to upload but you can download it from here for 4.2.5:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ba8630bc8d6cd87a3b23513eb7700b54

OR if you dont fancy going all the way to 4.2.5 you can download the patch for 4.2.4 here:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/70fc7a9f5f1315519a00b2b3c0dc48d8

Message was edited by: matthewpage

lohjintiam Mon, 01/25/2010 - 12:25

Hi Matt,

The recommendation from TAC was to upgrade to v4.2(5) ES1.

Currently I've upgraded (a painful process) it to v4.2(5) but looks like the app server (weblogic) is unable to start. Up till v4.2(4) the base system was up and running fine. The rest (Platform Session & Database server) has started accordingly. Initially i had some issues with installing weblogic922 during the upgrade so had to reinstall (uninstalled the previous 8.1 as well) it again.

Have you come across the attached issue?

Thanks!

-JT-

matthewpage Mon, 01/25/2010 - 12:39

Hi JT

I have not seen that error exactly.  What process did you follow to get to 4.2.5? Did you upgrade the JDK to 1.5.0_10?

BTW it took me at least 3 or 4 attempts to get this product working and also the same for my colleagues so I can feel your pain!

Matt

lohjintiam Mon, 01/25/2010 - 13:21

Hi Matt/Geoff,

I'm having a 2 servers (1 just for DB and the other for the rest). In that case, would i require to install the jdk1.5.0_10 as well in the main server? I'm thinking of reverting back to v4.2(4) and trying it again. The main error encountered now is pointing towards weblogic and the app server.

Thanks!

-JT-

Correct Answer
matthewpage Mon, 01/25/2010 - 13:31

Hi

I am affraid your going to have more luck just reinstalling the thing than trying to down grade from experience. Also as you said your issue is pointing to Weblogic and Java. You can always install that again with out have to reinstall CIM. The JDK needs to be on the services server not the database server.

Have you spoken to TAC again about this?

Also is this a production enviroment because you should actually have a 3rd server for the web server component which should be in front of the firewall.

Thanks,

Matt

lohjintiam Mon, 01/25/2010 - 14:42

Their recommendation is to start from scratch from v421 onwards (ouch). Maybe i'll try a quick downgrade back to v424 first before going back to square one.

In regards to web server, the plan is to use the customer's enterprise web server and redirect/forward the request to CIM web server.

Thanks!

-JT-

matthewpage Tue, 01/26/2010 - 01:21

Yep that is pretty much the only answers you going to get out of them on this product. Upgrade or reinstall.It is an OEM product from Egain so there are not many TAC engineers knowing about it.

If you cannot get it running again then please detail the exact process you took to get it to 4.2.5.

Thanks!

lohjintiam Tue, 01/26/2010 - 09:29

Hi Matt,

I've manage to upgrade it to v4.2(5)ES1 successfully (i think). The Chat resource and Unified WIM licensing is now showing up accordingly Thanks a lot for your help! Hopefully i dont get to do that again.

Have you tried running the agent console and launching the web chat (as a customer) on the same workstation? I'm not sure if there's a conflict as the agent is not getting the chat assigned but when i try to logout the agent, it indicated a chat activity has already assigned.

Also in the docs, there were no mentioned on any port/firewall requirement to support WIM. Only port 25 for SMTP.

Thanks!

-JT-

Correct Answer
matthewpage Tue, 01/26/2010 - 10:10

Hi JT

That is great news!! You should probably mark the post to resolved if it fixed your issue.

Yeah i have had problems doing that before. It should work if you just run the test on a seperate PC. You can only ever log into single instance of CIM at any one time on a PC. Have you tried running it on a two seperate PCs?

I believe for the port requirements i am pretty sure that is in the SRND or the Install guide. Have you checked that?

Thanks!

Matt

shaheeramunir Tue, 01/26/2010 - 23:25

Matt is right, login the agent from separate PC as we faced same issue and later realised

it

lohjintiam Wed, 01/27/2010 - 04:36

Hi,

Conveniently found myself at another hurdle. The main issue I’m facing now after setting up chat (queue, entry point, templates & configure jvm at agent console)

a)       only 1 way communication where agent is getting customer’s message but not vice versa

b)       chat session hardly last for 1-2 minutes before it gets disconnected (customer send button grayed out). Agent console shows its still waiting for customer's reply

Have you experienced this issue before with ES1? Setting for chat looks to be straightforward considering this is standalone. TAC recommended ES2 & ES5 but I’m not sure it addresses that specific issue.

Is it also normal to experience some delay from the moment customer establish the chat session till its being assigned to the agents?

Thanks!

-JT-

When we had a problem with a messed up install, I had to do a complete reinstall.

This is for the same set up as you - a Database server DBSERVER and a services/file/application server EIMSERVER.

There was no other solution other than removal of EIM and SQL 2005 and a reinstall.

These are the steps:

• Save some of the stuff we need – licence files, SQL queries etc
• Remove EIM patches on EIMSERVER (Add and remove programs)
• Go into C:\CIM\eService and find the uninstaller and remove EIM
• Remove all WebLogic stuff
• On DBSERVER, remove SQL 2005
• Clean up both servers before installing
• On DBSERVER, install SQL 2000 and then SP2
• Run EIM 4.2(1) installer on this machine to create the database
• On EIMSERVER, install WebLogic 8.1 and JDK
• Install EIM 4.2(1)
• Add the licences but DO NOT run the Integration Wizard
• Set the service to manual so it cannot start
• Install the SR 4.2(4a)
• Upgrade the database machine in place with SQL 2005
• Install SQL 2005 SP2
• On the services machine, install 4.2(5)
• Install 4.2.5 ES2
• Install 4.2.5 ES3
• Install 4.2.5 ES4
• Start the service
• Start the Integration Wizard
• Integrate the ICM stuff – worked OK
• Now log in as SA – worked
• Configfure MR port – it threw the error but actually worked
• Start the two parent processes
• Start the EAAS on the partition and watch the PIM – OK
• Configure the Listener with CTI IP address and port entries (side A and side B)
• Start the Listener – the ARM connection came up.

Regards,

Geoff

Actions

This Discussion