Switch Reboot due to Memory issue

Unanswered Question
Jan 5th, 2010

Hello,

I have a 3500XL switch that is having issues and reboots itself every 6 days. I believe the reason is that the Memory is reaching well over 90%. This seems to be a recurring cycle. Any Idea what could be causing the Memory to keep spiking in a cycle such as this? Could there be a memory issue with the device itself?

thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
sachinraja Tue, 01/05/2010 - 06:48

Hello kareem

can you see if you get any logs on the switch to confirm if it is a memory issue ? is the system memory allocation failing ? memory leak could be either due to hardware issue or just due to a memory leak bug. Refer to this URL to get more info on how to troubleshoot memory issues:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00800a6f3a.shtml

Hope this helps,..all the best..

Raj

kareem.afifi Tue, 01/05/2010 - 11:37

Thanks for the answers. It seems to be a memory issue. I did some research and pulled some logs. I apprecaite your response.

Leo Laohoo Tue, 01/05/2010 - 12:38

What is the version of IOS?  Could it be that you have an STP loop somewhere?

kareem.afifi Tue, 01/05/2010 - 12:53

I don't believe it's an STP. I did verify that. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the Memory as I went back to a Logger that we have and it is reporting issues with the memory. I'll really get my answer when I replace this switch tomorrow and See if i'm having the same issue.

sachinraja Tue, 01/05/2010 - 13:08

Ya Kareem

Replace the switch and let us know what happens.. Just be careful when you replace the switch.. put the switch on appropriate vtp modes based on your existing setup.. i remember replacing a switch and had network issues because the new switch was used in test labs and had higher config register number

Regards

Raj

Actions

This Discussion