Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Reboot due to Memory issue

kareem.afifi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a 3500XL switch that is having issues and reboots itself every 6 days. I believe the reason is that the Memory is reaching well over 90%. This seems to be a recurring cycle. Any Idea what could be causing the Memory to keep spiking in a cycle such as this? Could there be a memory issue with the device itself?

thanks

5 Replies 5

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello kareem

can you see if you get any logs on the switch to confirm if it is a memory issue ? is the system memory allocation failing ? memory leak could be either due to hardware issue or just due to a memory leak bug. Refer to this URL to get more info on how to troubleshoot memory issues:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00800a6f3a.shtml

Hope this helps,..all the best..

Raj

Thanks for the answers. It seems to be a memory issue. I did some research and pulled some logs. I apprecaite your response.

What is the version of IOS?  Could it be that you have an STP loop somewhere?

I don't believe it's an STP. I did verify that. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the Memory as I went back to a Logger that we have and it is reporting issues with the memory. I'll really get my answer when I replace this switch tomorrow and See if i'm having the same issue.

Ya Kareem

Replace the switch and let us know what happens.. Just be careful when you replace the switch.. put the switch on appropriate vtp modes based on your existing setup.. i remember replacing a switch and had network issues because the new switch was used in test labs and had higher config register number

Regards

Raj

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card