Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP failover not happening

santoshdpawar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

I am facing one HSRP issue, wherein there is no stat change if the tracked route goes offlinle. We have hardcoded priorities to 120 & 110 respectively.
The tracking is done via IP SLA for ISP's POP.

When the route is offline \ POP unrechable the active routers priority becomes 110 ( same as secondary router) but there will be no state change & the traffic fails.
My conceren was if the priority is same on both the routers then it should take the highest configured IP which is again the secondary routers interface Ip which is higher than
the primary one.

Regards...santosh

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

santoshdpawar wrote:

Hi Guys

I am facing one HSRP issue, wherein there is no stat change if the tracked route goes offlinle. We have hardcoded priorities to 120 & 110 respectively.
The tracking is done via IP SLA for ISP's POP.

When the route is offline \ POP unrechable the active routers priority becomes 110 ( same as secondary router) but there will be no state change & the traffic fails.
My conceren was if the priority is same on both the routers then it should take the highest configured IP which is again the secondary routers interface Ip which is higher than
the primary one.

Regards...santosh

Santosh

Why are you changing it to the same priority ?. You should change it so the priority is lower and then as long as you have configured "preempt" on the standby router it will then become active.

Jon

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Santosh

What are the physical and VIPs of the HSRP group configured ? Can you pls give us the configs of the HSRP group ? what does show standy on the interface give you?

When doing interface tracking, its bettter to have the priorities well defined (to take care of the decrement values). you can assign priorities such as 115 & 110 on the routers, so that when the priority of the primary decrements, it goes to 105 (less than 110, on the sec router), so that the HSRP failover happens based on the priority values... when the interface coems back upp, the priority value of 10 is added, to bring router 1 back as primary !

Hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

santoshdpawar
Level 1
Level 1

PFB the config :

Router 1 :

interface GigabitEthernet0/0
description LAN
ip address 192.168.254.252 255.255.255.0
duplex auto
speed auto
standby 1 ip 192.168.254.254
standby 1 priority 120
standby 1 preempt
standby 1 track 1

ip sla monitor 1
type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho XX.XX.XX.XX source-ipaddr 192.168.1.1
ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now

Router 1 :

interface GigabitEthernet0/0
description LAN
ip address 192.168.254.253 255.255.255.0
duplex full
speed 100
standby 1 ip 192.168.254.254
standby 1 priority 110
standby 1 preempt

Router1#sh stand
GigabitEthernet0/0 - Group 1
  State is Active
    16 state changes, last state change 01:27:07
  Virtual IP address is 192.168.254.254
  Active virtual MAC address is 0000.0c07.ac01
    Local virtual MAC address is 0000.0c07.ac01 (v1 default)
  Hello time 3 sec, hold time 10 sec
    Next hello sent in 1.476 secs
  Preemption enabled
  Active router is local
  Standby router is 192.168.254.253, priority 110 (expires in 9.336 sec)
  Priority 120 (configured 120)
    Track object 1 state Up decrement 10   >>>>>>>>>>>>>
  IP redundancy name is "hsrp-Gi0/0-1" (default)

Now if my ISP is unrechable ( route :XX.XX.XX.XX)  then the priority on both the routers will become 110. HSRP should take highest IP configured i.e. 192.168.254.253 which is the standby router & should become ACTIVE. This is exaclty not happening in this case.

Any hits ?

Santos

Still confused. Don't rely on the IP address, just make sure the priority is lower when the interface fails ie. make it 115 and 110 as Raj suggested.

Jon

Jon\ Raj,

Guys thanks for your replies.

That is the solution which I will implement. As per the theory , HSRP with same priority should look for another criteria for ACTIVE & STANDBY roles which is interface IP's which is not happening.

Hi Santosh

Yes.. change your priority values as described before.. but Im keen to see the show standby outputs when the interface tracking fails ... do both the routers claim themselves as primary ? are there any log messages in "show log" which can give us a hint ?

Raj

Hi Santosh,

As Jon and Raj noted, change you priority, so you know for sure it is going to work and not based on IP address.

HTH

Reza

thats correct. I will try to capture the logs if I find my ISP's connection going down. But still the original query remains unanswered. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card