Views
Helpful
Replies

can't create span session with NAM

sdurn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 6500 with a module WS-SVC-NAM-2 installed (slot3) and I have recently also installed an IDSM module (slot2).

I am trying to configure a SPAN session via the web interface of the NAM:

menu setup-> Data sources-> create

but on the next screen, I choose SPAN type: switchport,  but doesn't appears the modules installed in 6500 (in menu Switch module) so I can't choose either the source port. Besides doesn't appears the destination ports: DATAPORT1 and DATAPORT2.

I restarted the module but still not working, may be an incompatibility between NAM and IDSM?

I also tried setting the CLI, but this configuration doesn't appear in the NAM web interface:

switch (config) # monitor session 2 source interface both giga1/8/43
switch (config) # monitor session 2 destination-switch 1 analysis module 3 data-port 1

any idea?

thanks.

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What version of code is running on the NAM?  You may be seeing a bug with module/port names.

Hi,

The version of the NAM is the 3.6 (1b). The problem happens(I think) since I did an upgrade from the 6500 (in VSS mode) to version 12.2 (33) SXI2a.
Before, I had version 12.2 (33) and could create SPAN sessions without problems, I had to do the upgrade for the support of IDSM module... it's possible that now the NAM doesn't work ?

thanks!

I think you might be seeing CSCtd58916.  The workaround is to setup the SPAN manually from the CLI (even though it won't appear in the GUI).  Another potential workaround is to move the NAM to switch 2, or put another module in switch 2 in the same slot as the NAM is on switch 1.  That said, the bug is fixed in NAM 4.1(1) code.

Thank you very much! this bug explains the problem I have.

I will try to do the upgrade of the NAM.

How can I tell if the NAM is running in the application image or not?

thanks in advance!

When running in normal mode, the NAM is running the application image.  If you explicitly boot from the maintenance image, then the "show ver" from the NAM will indicate that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: