cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPS STATUS STUCK OFFLINE

Javier Cuadros
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, actually i'm working on a new isntallation, so i have installed CUCM 7.1.3 and CUPS 7.0.6.10000-17, users at CUPC can login but the status is stuck at off line and cannot be modified, i cannot place calls between cupc's either chat messages.

Under server status i see green the session server, tftp config, presence, softpfone, and ldap, under the system troubleshooter all items are green but the deskphone control, meeting notification  and inter-cluster troubleshooter.

Already configured proxy domain under service parameters and federation routing CUP FQDN, also under security configured ACL for incomming and outgoing for All permissions.

attached you will find the logs

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

You haven't enabled detailed logging on CUPC.  Thus there's not too much information in the logs.

If presence is connected but CUPC stuck offline, that's because it didn't received SIP NOTIFY from CUPS.

90% chance a firewall was blocking incoming traffic to CUPC on port 50001 - 50063.

10% chance the MER (Method Event Routing) was somehow misconfigured up on CUPS.

I'd recommend you do a packet capture and see if CUPC received any SIP NOTIFY.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

You haven't enabled detailed logging on CUPC.  Thus there's not too much information in the logs.

If presence is connected but CUPC stuck offline, that's because it didn't received SIP NOTIFY from CUPS.

90% chance a firewall was blocking incoming traffic to CUPC on port 50001 - 50063.

10% chance the MER (Method Event Routing) was somehow misconfigured up on CUPS.

I'd recommend you do a packet capture and see if CUPC received any SIP NOTIFY.

Michael

Hi, thanks for you answer, if the problem is about comm from CUPS server to CUPC may it be a domain issue? the actual implementation has a domain company.com where the cups server is registered, but users belong to another domain users.company.com so for example from cups server if i try to ping user1 with the hostname i get no answer the reason is because users belong to a different domain, may it be the reason? how can i fix it?

Technically, SIP domain has nothing to do with DNS domain or AD domain.

Michael

Dear Sir,

Thanks for you help, the problem was the firewall on the customers pc's, thanks for you valuable help

Hi Michael,

I am experiencing a very strange problem… CUPC user status get Offline after first login and when the contact list contains more than 5 – 6 contacts!!!

Topology: CUCM 7.1.3b – CUPS 7.0.6 (Now upgraded to 7.0.7) both integrated with LDAP.

The client is UWL licensed for 100 users.

When a CUPC user add more than 5 – 6 contacts on the contact list and after he/she re-login to CUPC his/her status stay offline.

If he/she remove some of the contacts and has only 5 on the list then the status changed to Available (after re-login).

Another issues is that, when a contact is deleted is not removed from the contact list until the CUPC user re-login. I don’t have this issue with any other implementation.

Could you provide me any help on that?

Best Regards,

Elias

Without logs, I can't say for sure.  But per your description, it looks like some network equipment didn't allow larget SIP packets to go through.

CUPS server put contacts' presence into a SIP packet.  The size of the packet depends on the number of contacts.  You may do a packet capture on server side and upload here.  The syntax is:

utils network capture file cups count 100000 size all host all 192.168.1.100

Where 192.168.1.100 is the IP address of CUPC computer.

1) exit CUPC

2) start capture

3) log in CUPC

4) press Ctrl-C on CUPS commnd line to stop the capture

5) Use command below (or RTMT) to get the capture file:

file get activelog platform/cli/cups.cap

Michael

Thanks for the reply Michael,I appreciate it.

Again you were very helpful.

You may be right... they have an FWSM module on the 6500 switch and by default it inspecting SIP on the global policy. The Voice SRV VLAN is behind FWSM...

It doesn’t block it, but is filtered so maybe this is the problem.

I had some problems with another project using CUPC via VPN and the solution was to remove the SIP inspection from ASA firewall.

I will do this and I will let you know.

If the problem persists then I will come back with the traces.

Best Regards

Hi Michael,

Just to inform you that the SIP inspection on FWSM was causing the issue.

Now all working great.

thanks once more.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: