Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Share on 6500 and GSR12000

Hi Gurus,

Can i do load sharing on 6500 and gsr12000 using ospf ? My 7206 router is not enough to support more than 1G traffic on the interface going to GSR. We are migrating the traffic to the 6500 but still the 1G traffic is the bottle neck, can i use load share to at least 2 links to have an aggregate of 2G ?

tia.

Jeff

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

jeffersoncbriones wrote:

Hi Gurus,

Can i do load sharing on 6500 and gsr12000 using ospf ? My 7206 router is not enough to support more than 1G traffic on the interface going to GSR. We are migrating the traffic to the 6500 but still the 1G traffic is the bottle neck, can i use load share to at least 2 links to have an aggregate of 2G ?

tia.

Jeff

Jeff

Do you mean use an etherchannel between 2 ports on the 6500 and 2 interfaces on the GSR ?

You could do this but you could also have 2 routed links between the 6500 and the GSR and then load share across the 2 routed links.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Just basic ospf configuration just to maximize the links for 2G link. Is it better to do etherchannel?

tia.

Jeff

jeffersoncbriones wrote:

Hi Jon,

Just basic ospf configuration just to maximize the links for 2G link. Is it better to do etherchannel?

tia.

Jeff

Personally i would use 2 routed links rather than etherchannel. OSPF should see 2 equal cost paths to all networks coming from the GSR.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Also, I just want to check if there's an issue on my 6500 and GSR.

GSR#sh ver | in image
System image file is "disk0:c12kprp-k4p-mz.120-32.S8.bin

6509#sh ver | i image
System image file is "sup-bootflash:c6sup22-pk2o3sv-mz.121-20.E"

tia

jeffersoncbriones wrote:

Hi Jon,

Also, I just want to check if there's an issue on my 6500 and GSR.

GSR#sh ver | in image
System image file is "disk0:c12kprp-k4p-mz.120-32.S8.bin

6509#sh ver | i image
System image file is "sup-bootflash:c6sup22-pk2o3sv-mz.121-20.E"

tia

Jeff

Issue in what sense ?. They will both certainly do OSPF and OSPF automatically load shares across equal cost paths.

Jon

Helo Jon,

i just read before that there's an issue on the ip cef of 6500, wherein this will be used for the load balancing right? I just want to make everything clear coz this is on production environment, just making sure.

Thanks a lot.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

may you post the link to the possible CEF issue you are mentioning?

OSPF load balancing over two parallel L3 links is something quite basic.

Conversely, etherchannel on GSR can be a problem or can have side effects.

Edit:

Release 12.1(20)E and rebuilds earlier than Release 12.1(20)E6 are deferred.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/native/release/notes/OL_2310.html#wp1475903

you are running a deferred image on your C6500. I strongly recommend to consider to upgrade at least to 12.1(20)E6

see the link to image size and names and check if your hardware allows for it

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/native/release/notes/OL_2310s.html#wp941865

PS: Happy new year Jepoy!!!

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: