cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1142n Access Point Power

Mat.Edwards_2
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know why 1250 AP's have to use 802.3at to power both radios but 1142n AP's can use standard 802.3af without comprimise?

3 Replies 3

John Cook
Level 1
Level 1

My understanding is that the 1250s (being modular) have additional PCI circuitry that requires more power.  I don't remember where i read that, but it seemed to make sense at the time.  -John

That is correct, if you look at the older ask the expert sessions, find the one with Fred Niehaus, and he explains why the

1250 requires more power.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mat,

Please don't compare apple with oranges.  The 1140 and the 1250 were designed differently (other than looks and weight).  Like it's predecessors, the 1250 was designed for wide-open spaces deployment hence the transmission footprint is significantly wider.  The 1140 is designed for office space use hence you don't need a very strong transmitter.

If you upgrade the 1250s IOS to 12.4(10b)JDA3 you should be able to power the 1250, with both radios, on 15.4w but at a cost of lower MCS rates.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card