coldStart trap after "kill -HUP" of snmpd?

Answered Question
Jan 6th, 2010
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

While working with a third-party network device that uses the UCD-SNMP-MIB implementation, I'm observing the behavior that one each of "nsNotifyShutdown" and "coldStart" trap is generated, everytime snmpd receives "kill -HUP" to pick up config modifications. Does anyone know if this is the "correct / expected / normal" behavior? I mean I could see the rationale behind it (the assumption that snmpd is down due to device reboot), but OTOH it's sort of "crying wolf" when the physical device itself didn't actually reboot. I'd like to avoid creating this kind of "false" alarm, if possible.

Correct Answer by Joe Clarke about 7 years 6 months ago

I don't see any trap being sent on a SIGHUP in uc-snmp 4.2.7.1.  The only coldStart trap sent by either version is on snmpd startup.

Overall Rating: 4.5 (2 ratings)
Joe Clarke Wed, 01/06/2010 - 09:23
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

This question would be better asked on one of the Net-SNMP forums.  However, in looking at the 5.4.2.1 code, only an nsNotifyRestart trap is sent on a SIGHUP.

yjdabear Wed, 01/06/2010 - 11:00
User Badges:

Ah, since NET-SNMP starts at 5.x, maybe what I see is the behavior of the UCD-SNMP 4.x or older releases.

Correct Answer
Joe Clarke Wed, 01/06/2010 - 11:12
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

I don't see any trap being sent on a SIGHUP in uc-snmp 4.2.7.1.  The only coldStart trap sent by either version is on snmpd startup.

yjdabear Thu, 01/07/2010 - 08:52
User Badges:

Thanks for looking into the source code! Your posts made me question my assumption it was a  "kill -HUP". It turns out snmpd was being restarted with the init script. Once I asked the vendor to issuing "kill -HUP" instead, only an nsNotifyRestart is generated.

Actions

This Discussion