Views
Helpful
Replies

linecards supported in a VSS - VS-C6509E-S720-10G

Nuno Castro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there;

I want to use POE Linecards, but i think that the supported linecards are only 67XX?

Can i use this oneWS-X6548-GE-45AF?

10 Replies 10

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only supported line cards are the 67xx series. Please see the following link, Table 1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/prod_qas0900aecd806ed74b.html

HTH,

jerry

Hi Jerry,

I know that this post is pretty old.

I have VS-S720-10G and planning to configure VSS. What are the supported line cards

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

nuno.castro wrote:

Hi there;

I want to use POE Linecards, but i think that the supported linecards are only 67XX?

Can i use this oneWS-X6548-GE-45AF?

Nuno

Unfortunately no, you cannot use this card. As you rightly say the supported line cards are 67xx only.

Jon

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree.  I recently deployed a Sup720 with a 6548 PoE line card.  It will work.

Hi Leo,

He is talking about VSS with 65xx line card, unless I mis-understood the question.

Regards,

jerry

I Want to put a POE card with VSS, but i think it is impossible.

Are you looking for a Sup720 with PoE?

Hello Nuno,

VSS is targeted as single distribution node in datacenter, unless Cisco releases 67xx linecards with POE capabilities you cannot use a VSS for this.

if you had a standalone chassis with a VSS ready supervisor probably things can be different but once the VSS is formed non 67xx modules are automatically left unpowered.

It is like to use a GSR to do DLSW+ you cannot it is not its job.

Also there are power and thermal considerations: faster linecards like 67xx series with DFC are already power hungry and heat producers adding POE could be not safe it could lead to short life linecards.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

what about WS-X6148A-GE-TX? Is it going to be supported any time soon?

Hi,

The anwer is NO, while the switch is in VSS mode it only supports 67xx linecards. If it is standalone it should support all the modules that sup720 supports.

JayaKrishna

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card