cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE 4710 Appliance Network Ports Limitations

santipongv
Level 1
Level 1

Currently, ACE 4710 Appliance has 4 10/100/1000 Ethernet network ports.  In my new network project design, ACE is required to be in at least 5 networks (5 Vlans).  What is the best way to configure the ACE appliance? Can I configure each phycial port as a trunk and assign multiple VLANs allowed on each trunk?  Or should I consider using ACE module instead?  Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

that is correct - you don't need a dedicated phyiscal cable for the FT link.

I also just uploaded a ACE_HA configuration documet.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8358

Take a look at figure 1 - vlan 999 is the FT vlan.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Eric Rose
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The recommended approach is to create a port channel and Q trunk the 4 physical ports together.

take a look at the following URL.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5719/ps7027/ps8361/guide_c07-572616_ps7027_Products_White_Paper.html

Physical Topology

To increase application and infrastructure availability, the Cisco ACE 4710 appliance takes advantage of all four Gigabit Ethernet interfaces and Cisco ACE virtualization. These interfaces can be configured in a PortChannel to create a single logical link between the Cisco ACE 4710 and Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches. Trunked VLANs can be used to carry all client and server messaging, management traffic, and fault-tolerant communication.
Connecting the Cisco ACE 4710 to a Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switch in this manner has several obvious advantages:

• It allows the creation of a single very high-bandwidth logical link, helping ensure the highest level (4 Gbps) of throughput possible on the Cisco ACE 4710 appliance.

• It gracefully handles asymmetric traffic profiles typical of web architectures.

• It simplifies the interface configuration since the single PortChannel and IEEE 802.1q trunk need only be configured once and applied to each physical interface.

• Future upgrades, for example from 1 Gbps to 4 Gbps, can be accomplished in real time by installing a license for increased throughput without the need to physically recable the appliance interfaces.

• Individual Cisco ACE contexts are not limited by the throughput of a single 1-Gbps interface. Traffic can be shaped according to the available throughput at the context, virtual-IP, or real-server level rather than at the interface level.

• It allows the Cisco ACE to reach throughput license limits, including throughput limits additionally reserved for management traffic. By default, the entry-level Cisco ACE appliance has a 1-Gbps through-traffic bandwidth limit and an additional 1-Gbps management-traffic bandwidth limit, resulting in a maximum bandwidth of 2 Gbps. Similarly, with the 2-Gbps license, the Cisco ACE has a 2-Gbps through-traffic bandwidth limit
and a 1-Gbps management-traffic bandwidth limit, for a total maximum bandwidth of 3 Gbps.

• The PortChannel provides redundancy should any of the four physical interfaces fail.

• The single logical link can support all the common deployment modes, including routed, bridged, one-arm, and asymmetric server return, while also addressing high availability and stateful connection replication without problems.

Thanks

Eric

remember if this answer your questions please mark as answered and with a 5

Unfortunately, the ACE 4710 Appliance will not be connecting to 6509 in this design.  It will be placed behind a pair of firewall & failover, in which connect to 3750G-48TS.  Can I still create port channel and trunk 4 physical ports together?

sure the 6500 is just used in the documation to show a "typical" DC switch that ACE4710 could connect into. The switch could be anything.

According to the ACE 4710 data sheet, ACE 4710 appliance can support up to 1024 VLANs, I can create management VLAN and Fault Tolerance/High Availability (FT/HA) VLAN and allow these VLANs in the trunk, correct?  I don't need to have a dedicated physical network connection for FT/HA, correct?

that is correct - you don't need a dedicated phyiscal cable for the FT link.

I also just uploaded a ACE_HA configuration documet.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8358

Take a look at figure 1 - vlan 999 is the FT vlan.

Hello,

If I need to pass multiple vlans through the trunk, then is it correct that the directly connected switch should be L3 and not L2.

For e.g. if the topology were ASA -> 2960 -> ACE 4710, I would not be able to pass multiple vlans onto ACE due to L2 switch on single ASA interface/subnet.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: