Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS licence enforcement

mcdougalla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

In the past few months we have upgraded a few devices to IOS 12.4(24)T2.  A few weeks after that we started to receive the following syslog messages from a couple of the devices:

Dec 30 10:34:52 xxxx 23425: Dec 30 10:34:51.907 EST: %LICENSE-4-EXPIRING: License for feature gatekeeper 1.0 will expire in 2 weeks.

So all of a sudden we're scambling to manage IOS licences and figure out how widespread a problem this is (i.e. can we expect more messages like this from other devices in our network in the future).

Does anyone know when licence enforcement was introduced to mainline IOS?  Is there any documentation out there that could help us understand the plan to phase this in over all devices?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

You need a license for the gatekeeper functionality.

To request a license you can go to:

https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/PrivateRegistrationServlet

And for a demo license:

https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/PrivateRegistrationServlet?DemoKeys=Y

Thanks, but I am *painfully* aware of the fact that we need to license the gatekeeper functionality now.

My real concern is this:

I have a box that's been serving as a gatekeeper in my network for 2-3 years which we upgraded from 12.4(?)T to 12.4(24)T2, and all of a sudden the gatekeeper feature license is enforced by the software.  I want to know when this was introduced for this IOS train (2800 mainline code) and more to the point when should I expect other features to be enforced on other IOS devices.  This isn't a huge problem for the small number of H.323 gatekeepers I have in my network but I expect it to grow and I want to get ahead of it.

Interestingly, about 25% of IOS devices in my network now accept some form of "show license" command but the vast majority of those return "% License not supported on this device".  I'm sure it's coming however, and I want to know the roll-out plan (I hope there is one) before we find out the hard way.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: