cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2800 Series Routers - measuring AMPs (Power)

insccisco
Level 1
Level 1

On the CLI, is there a command to find out how much power the router is using?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

My understanding is that the availability of specific environmental monitoring characteristics depends not only on software, but also on the availability of specific 'sensors' on each hardware platform. I guess it is more possible to have more support in higher-end platforms than lower-end for such environmental indicators, since those are more expensive, critical and consume more resources. The output you can get from "sh environment" options will be different in different platforms. The following document covers platforms that you haven't mentioned, but you can get the idea:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/12_4x/12_4_4xd/showenv2.html

Now, I am not doubting anyone here, but since you expressed interest in other platforms as well besides the 2800 (and if you are indeed very stubborn ), maybe you could explore SNMP MIBs as well and see what you get. I am saying this because sometimes some information not available from CLI might be available from SNMP variables and vice versa. To be noted though that I am not sure if this applies to this specific case or you will end up with the same information you get from CLI (since information is hardware dependent).

From a fast search I found the following threads in Network Management (under Network Infrastructure) section of NetPro:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/639322
https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/673658
https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/650809

So, maybe you could ask there and get answers for any specific hardware you are interested in either using CLI or SNMP. As an author of this thread you have the option to 'move thread' in Network Management section using Actions sidebar box on the top right of your thread. You can also edit the subject line or just post an update specifically stating which platforms you are interested in and/or edit the tags of your thread.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No.

you sure?

Sorry, you ask because you wish there was, and hope that I'm wrong ?

i don't hope that you're wrong, i wouldnt be seeking advise here if i was hoping that.

thing is that i assume everyone here is very knowledgable and will either help, or otherwise point in the right direction... i was expecting something like the sh environment command which comes reallly reallly close to what i was looking for. im stubborn sh i want to think there is a command for the 2800, 1800 or 6500 series that can give those readings... dont take it personal man, i just like to be 200%

No offense to anyone here but with Paolo's experience, if he says 1 + 1 = 256 I'd believe him. 

Besides, I know (based on experience) that there is no command available.  Try "sh tech".

My understanding is that the availability of specific environmental monitoring characteristics depends not only on software, but also on the availability of specific 'sensors' on each hardware platform. I guess it is more possible to have more support in higher-end platforms than lower-end for such environmental indicators, since those are more expensive, critical and consume more resources. The output you can get from "sh environment" options will be different in different platforms. The following document covers platforms that you haven't mentioned, but you can get the idea:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/12_4x/12_4_4xd/showenv2.html

Now, I am not doubting anyone here, but since you expressed interest in other platforms as well besides the 2800 (and if you are indeed very stubborn ), maybe you could explore SNMP MIBs as well and see what you get. I am saying this because sometimes some information not available from CLI might be available from SNMP variables and vice versa. To be noted though that I am not sure if this applies to this specific case or you will end up with the same information you get from CLI (since information is hardware dependent).

From a fast search I found the following threads in Network Management (under Network Infrastructure) section of NetPro:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/639322
https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/673658
https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/650809

So, maybe you could ask there and get answers for any specific hardware you are interested in either using CLI or SNMP. As an author of this thread you have the option to 'move thread' in Network Management section using Actions sidebar box on the top right of your thread. You can also edit the subject line or just post an update specifically stating which platforms you are interested in and/or edit the tags of your thread.

No ofense from here either, but I simply can't agreed with somebody that tells me that 1+1 = 256 when I already know that the answer is 2.

The last answer received on this threat is exactly what I'm used to seeing here at this cisco forum. I'm a novice on the matter, but I read a lot and also work with this stuff. This little knowledge was enough to know that the quick answer given was not accurate.

Like the last reply said (marikakis), there are MIBs and SNMP stuff that CAN be enabled to get these numbers. That answer I will indeed follow... hey, no offense but if I'm not 100% sure of an answer, I won't give it. why will I mislead somebody who's trying to get his/her job job?

Nobody is offended and Leo's statement was obviously only jokeful. Thank you for your trust Leo!

I'm happy you're satisfied with Giuseppe's great reply, but also you will find that actual power usage on ISR, cannot be obtained by CLI, SNMP, or any other software mean. Let us know if you find otherwise

I'll take a look at this. I thank you very much for the time though.

Currently what I'm doing is just to hookup a serial/usb cable to the APC unit and get the numbers from there... but this will only work if the only thing you had connected to the APC unit was the Cisco router. If you had more devices, then you'll have to do a bit of math. Putting a command onto the CLI will indeed be sexy... getting close, but not there yet... and based on the replies here, it does make sense that this command is indeed available on the higher end routers/siwtches... perhaps it is possible on the smaller routers but with some work to be done first

Actually, the professional way to measure wattage, is a clamp ammeter.

If you are using a measured value instead of the nominal wattage to size your power needs (that is a poor practice anyway), you only will need a max load measurement, not a continuous one. But since you have no direct way to force maximum fans speed (unless you are willing to heat the room for the purpose), the measurement will be of relative use anyway.

For these and more reasons, professional installations only use the declared wattage value, and that's it.

The ISR cannot return the wattage value in software because it doesn't have the hardware to do it. Otherwise, the feature would have been made available since the beginning.

now, this is getting sexier... great point. Let me tell you one of the main reasons I wanted to get it via the CLI... One of the data center customers use dell,  hp servers and cisco stuff on their rack. Getting the AMPs out of those 2 brand servers is easy as both companies have pretty good tools. However, for the Cisco equipment, which are low end switches and 1800, 2800 routers, I've been looking for a tool (or a command) to get this done but nothing. Just needed a non-intrusive way of getting the current AMPs. We can get it reading the specs on the device or by calling the data center guys, and they do exactly what you explained, but we usually have to wait for days to get the results.

I am glad you guys worked things out. Just wanted to inform you that not all members react the same way nor does the same person react the same way under all circumstances. This doesn't mean one person is 'better' than the other or knows more (I might have thrown some flame here in 2-3 cases or used underground ways to throw it). As an author of the thread you are basically in control of the thread. A lot of volunteers are here to help you. My general advice would be to try to keep things under control when asking for help no matter what someone tells you or seems to be telling you. Have in mind that on the internet it is difficult to understand the tone of a person when they say something. In most cases I am laughing although it doesn't show. There are also some rare cases I might look like laughing, but quite the opposite happens.

it's true. you're right again. unfortunately one can't see the facial expressions of the other one. i think this forum is just too great.. none like it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco