Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic query on STP behaviour: Fiber path Vs Gig Ethernet

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi all,

Switch 1 STP root and Switch 2 is access switch.

Switch 2  gig 0//25 : Fiber port (1000Base SX SFP) <-- Trunk--> Switch 1 gig 3/10 Fiber port (1000Base SX)

2nd connection..

Switch2 gigEth 0/24 :  <--- Trunk---> Sw1 gigEth 4/10

Will STP makes the Fiber port (gig 0/25) as forwaring port on SW2 or gigE (0/24)?

TIA

MS

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mvsheik123 wrote:

Thank you Jon.Thats what I guessed. Is there anyway I can make the fiber port to be the forwarding and gig eth blocked?

TIA

MS

MS

Yes, you can alter the port cost so that the cost of the path to root is not the same -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_44_se/command/reference/cli3.html#wp1945601

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mvsheik123 wrote:

Hi all,

Switch 1 STP root and Switch 2 is access switch.

Switch 2  gig 0//25 : Fiber port (1000Base SX SFP) <-- Trunk--> Switch 1 gig 3/10 Fiber port (1000Base SX)

2nd connection..

Switch2 gigEth 0/24 :  <--- Trunk---> Sw1 gigEth 4/10

Will STP makes the Fiber port (gig 0/25) as forwaring port on SW2 or gigE (0/24)?

TIA

MS

MS

gig0/24 should become the forwarding port. If there is a tie in the path cost and there will be in your example the next tie-breaker is to use the lowest port number.

Jon

Thank you Jon.Thats what I guessed. Is there anyway I can make the fiber port to be the forwarding and gig eth blocked?

TIA

MS

mvsheik123 wrote:

TIA

MS

MS

Yes, you can alter the port cost so that the cost of the path to root is not the same -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_44_se/command/reference/cli3.html#wp1945601

Jon

Thank you. So if I leave the fiber port cost intact (4) and make the gigeth 8, the fiberpath should takeover. Thanks Jon.

mvsheik123 wrote:

Thank you. So if I leave the fiber port cost intact (4) and make the gigeth 8, the fiberpath should takeover. Thanks Jon.

Yes it should.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card