Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice Mail Port status unregistered

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

We have CUCM 6.1 and two UNITY 4.1 It worked fine but now we have for voicemail-primary  ALL  Voice Mail Port status unregistered -  for voicemail-secondary its OK all ports registered with publisher ??? We reloaded UNITY and its same.. Can you advice???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think the first responder here is correct but wanted to add some details. This does sound like the Unity pair is failed over. I would check failover montior as suggested to verify this. If this is true and the secondary is currently active, reboot the primary and then fail back. Now, to failback in the middle of the day will not work since active secondary will still get calls coming into it and cause it to constantly fail right back over in the middle of trying to fail back. So TAC normally asks that you a) do a failback at night when calls are low or non existant or b) you can force failback during the day by changing some settings on the failover monitor on the secondary server before attempting the failback. Here is how to do option b...

Go to the secondary Unity server and open Failover Monitor

Click on the Configuration button

In the Configuration options, un-check the checkbox that says Force Failover if call arrives on inactive secondary

Click the Failback button to fail back to the primary Unity in the middle of the day

Once you see in the failover monitor on the primary that it is the new active server, make sure the ports are registered from the primary Unity on Callmanager. Then recheck that check box on the Secondary Failover Monitor so it will resume normal failover funcionality.

Hope this helps!

Tray

Please Rate

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you had a failover situation try using the failover monitor to go back to primary if it's not configured automatically

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think the first responder here is correct but wanted to add some details. This does sound like the Unity pair is failed over. I would check failover montior as suggested to verify this. If this is true and the secondary is currently active, reboot the primary and then fail back. Now, to failback in the middle of the day will not work since active secondary will still get calls coming into it and cause it to constantly fail right back over in the middle of trying to fail back. So TAC normally asks that you a) do a failback at night when calls are low or non existant or b) you can force failback during the day by changing some settings on the failover monitor on the secondary server before attempting the failback. Here is how to do option b...

Go to the secondary Unity server and open Failover Monitor

Click on the Configuration button

In the Configuration options, un-check the checkbox that says Force Failover if call arrives on inactive secondary

Click the Failback button to fail back to the primary Unity in the middle of the day

Once you see in the failover monitor on the primary that it is the new active server, make sure the ports are registered from the primary Unity on Callmanager. Then recheck that check box on the Secondary Failover Monitor so it will resume normal failover funcionality.

Hope this helps!

Tray

Please Rate

So if I understand correctly - ports are registred for that UNITY
that is acitve ... non-active UNITY is having ports unregisterd?? Am I correct??

Correct.

Tray

Yes, check your failover monitor on the server.  most likely, a failover took place and now the Secondary is running and primary is unregistered.

I cant recall which version if its 4.2.1 or 5.x and later,  even during a failover, all ports stay registered.   So for example, if the Primary was up, and the secondary was up, but Primary active, the ports will be registered.  In earlier release (possibly yours) same scenario, the ports on the secondary will be unrgistered until a failover is triggered.  I think Cisco changed this to speed up the failover process when it went to the secondary at 4.2.1 or 5.x.

Oops I was mistaken we have version 5.. We got this message from our monitoring system so I guess before all ports were registered.. in the meanwhile port status is changed to Unknown... Do you have any idea????

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: