Netpro very slow

Unanswered Question
Jan 8th, 2010

Hi Dan,

The site is very slow these days.  The main page (Cisco Support Community) loads fine, but it takes about 30 seconds to load a sub-forum.

Same thing when leaving a sup-forum to go up to Cisco Support Community page.

Also has any one else noticed this?

Thanks,

Reza

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 5 (7 ratings)
marikakis Fri, 01/08/2010 - 15:27

Hi Reza,

Yes, I've noticed delay lately as well. Maybe not 30 seconds, but I think I can slowly count up to 10 sometimes. Other times it is so slow I get the feeling I have missed to click on a link although I have. If this happens to you as well and you subsequently click again on a link, you will observe higher delays.

Kind Regards,

Maria

Dan Bruhn Sat, 01/09/2010 - 10:20

Hi Reza,

Agreed, the site is by no means performing at an acceptable level.  We are in the process of testing some code changes that will hopefully increase performance.  We anticipate launching the first code change by the end of the month.  Because the performance issues are code related it will probably take a few passes at this to get to optimal performance.  I can assure you this is priority #1 for us and we will get it resolved.

I apologize to all for this inconvenience.

Cheers,

Dan 

Rob Huffman Sun, 01/10/2010 - 07:07

Hey Dan,

I think we all understand that these type of massive changes come with

some "growing pains". The fact that the NetPro team @ Cisco is working to

alleviate these problems is good enough for me I know that everything will

be working well in short order.

The one "nice" thing about the "slowness" issue is that it teaches us all to

be patient, and, after all "patience is a virtue".

Cheers!

Huff

marikakis Sun, 01/10/2010 - 07:30

Hi Rob,

Well, I think the new site is very intelligent/wise sometimes. The issues of the rating system for example have put our volunteer feelings to the test, and that was a lot of fun for me! I never thought that the NetPro team couldn't fix it.

As for the slowness or navigation issues: well, it kind of proves (to me at least) the truth of the saying that, if people are really interested in the content of your website, speed and organization matter less!

I am sure the team will fix the issues. It's obvious to me that they having been working hard. When we report some issues, it is just some feedback and nothing else.

Kind Regards,

Maria

Rob Huffman Mon, 01/11/2010 - 06:21

Hey Maria,

I know that this type of feedback is welcomed by Dan/Tim and the Netpro Team. So

keep it coming my friend

I forgot to mention that this "slowness" reminds me of my many days spent

on NetPro via "dial-up". For many years, where I live out in the country had no High Speed

Internet. It's like some sort of weird reminiscing I guess

Cheers!

Rob

marikakis Mon, 01/11/2010 - 07:04

Hi Rob,

In my very first feedback about the new site I was interested in the following things: navigation, outline view, site colors, performance, and 'where are my posts?'. I guess the colors are fine now! As for the performance: I spent an entire Saturday afternoon to upgrade my ubuntu to get better performance for this particular site only. You might say I have a thing with performance! This doesn't mean the NetPro team must not take a Christmas holiday!

As for the dial-up: Well, you are right that we are used so much to high-speed Internet access that anything more than immediately seems like ages. The perception of time always depends on many factors. I guess we like the new site so much, we can't wait for the interesting content to appear on our screens!

As for the feedback: Well, many companies try to analyse the feelings of the users to see what they like and don't like using specialized tools. I guess no fancy algorithms are required for our feelings. We have first hand knowledge to analyse them and post them ourselves at the place of the site where people are listening!

Kind Regards,

Maria

Timothy Albright Mon, 01/11/2010 - 09:02

Gang,

This type of feedback is definitely welcome.  Just want to confirm Dan's comments.  We are aware of the slowness and steps are underway to address it.  Unfortunately, these steps will take a little time.  Dial up?  Really?  I think it's still better than dial up.  Seriously, though, look for changes to come in this and in some of the other areas you have all commented about.

Cheers,

Tim

Rob Huffman Mon, 01/11/2010 - 12:49

Hi Tim,

Nice to see you back my friend!

My "Dial Up" comment was only meant in fun

It's my "it's all relative" analogy.

Cheers!

Rob

Leo Laohoo Mon, 01/11/2010 - 14:15

Yup.  I've noticed it getting slower.  At least it ain't as slow as two-tin-cans-and-a-string.

marikakis Mon, 01/11/2010 - 14:26

Here comes another member of the gang with a good joke! I wonder where Jon is. I guess he is waiting for the navigation feature!

Leo Laohoo Mon, 01/11/2010 - 14:44

I wonder where Jon is.     

It's beer-o-clock Canada time. 

marikakis Mon, 01/11/2010 - 14:49

He is in Canada? Thought he was in England. Anyway, maybe it's beer-o-clock there as well!

Leo Laohoo Mon, 01/11/2010 - 16:53

Whoopsie!  It doesn't matter.  Like Canada or the UK, Australians are unable to export beer because the breweries just can't make enough of it.  Currently it's 38C outside and it's unfortunate that I can't do my NetPro at the pub. 

Dan Bruhn Mon, 01/11/2010 - 15:02

Hi Leo,

Let the jokes begin. Don't make me block some of you from posting to this thread  

On a serious note, we really are working on this.  Has the site gotten even slower as of late for you?  If so, when did it start?

Cheers,

Dan

marikakis Mon, 01/11/2010 - 16:52

Hi Dan,

Sorry for cluttering the thread. It won't happen again! Even if you won't block me, I know the new site will!

When the new site was launched, and after I did some upgrades on my OS, I could slowly count up to 3 from the moment I clicked, say to some tab, to the moment the status bar of my browser was full. As I said at the beginning of this thread, I can now count up to 10. I have confirmed this with the network history of my system monitor. That is, when I click on a tab it takes 6 seconds for data to begin to arrive from your servers, plus 4 more seconds for the transfer to complete (10 seconds total). My RTT delay with your servers hasn't changed. That is:

--- cisco-support.hosted.jivesoftware.com ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 47198ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 188.682/197.023/205.698/4.786 ms
mkat@antiqua:~$ date
Tue Jan 12 02:04:45 EET 2010

I guess the delay that each member observes will depend on their location around the globe. When members complained about delays after you had opened the maintenance thread for the arrival of the IronPort community, I hadn't personally noticed a difference enough to make me dig into this further. I am not sure exactly when the latest delays I observed started. Maybe some day on the week after January 1st. In this case I didn't dig because you were already looking into this due to earlier complaints. When Reza started this thread I responded to only tell him to wait and avoid clicking again on a link if the delay looks like he hasn't clicked.

Kind Regards,

Maria

marikakis Mon, 01/11/2010 - 17:35

Just a clarification on the phrase "when I click on a tab it takes 6 seconds for data to begin to arrive from your servers". I observe an immediate response to the click, but the network data are less at this initial stage. The biggest part of the data arrives 5-6 seconds after the initial click.

I see sometimes things being a couple of seconds better or worse. It's not that consistent. Most of the time it's about 10. I know this number is round enough to sound fake, but this is what I see. I must say this is the delay when logged in. I am not sure what happens with Guest access.

Dan Bruhn Mon, 01/11/2010 - 19:18

Hi Maria,

You're going to give our IT team a run for their money   This is actually very helpful and will be shared.  If you see any other consistently slow areas of the site please post them.  After all this is a community so we welcome help.

Cheers,

Dan

marikakis Mon, 01/11/2010 - 19:51

Hi Dan,

I am glad this was helpful. This is the first time I get into the delay details of a website because I am interested in it, and not to prove to a customer that our backbone didn't have routing issues! Your IT team has nothing to be afraid of. I am not the competitive type. If I find other issues, I will post them only if you assure me that people's money is not at risk!

Kind Regards,

Maria

p.s. Well, I cluttered the thread again. You should know by now, I just can't help myself sometimes! Yet another reason why your IT team has nothing to be afraid of!

marikakis Mon, 01/25/2010 - 17:49

Hi Dan,

Is CSC amazingly fast right now or is it my idea? If you keep it like this, the subject of the thread should change to "NetPro too fast"! What did you do? You do not really have to answer this (although I would be interested to be honest).

Kind Regards,

Maria

Dan Bruhn Mon, 01/25/2010 - 17:53

Hi Maria,

You're fast.  We released some new code 20 minutes ago to fix our performance issues.  You like it?

Cheers,

Dan

marikakis Mon, 01/25/2010 - 20:07

Hi Dan,

I am absolutely excited about the site speed right now! One of the slowest things to do was to go to past discussions by clicking on 'Next' link at the Discussions tab. I can now go to Discussions that occurred 4 years ago in no time by successively clicking on the 'Next' link! The feeling is close to Discussions being stored on my notebook! Hope you and the developers have a good night out celebrating!

Kind Regards,

Maria

Rob Huffman Tue, 01/26/2010 - 05:36

Hey Folks,

Just wanted to pass along a large Congratulations to Dan,Tim

and the whole Netpro team for this newest release

An amazing improvement to say the least! Thanks for

all your continuing hard word and support for the Community.

Cheers to all of you!!

Huff

Timothy Albright Tue, 01/26/2010 - 06:12

Hi All,

Appreciate the kind words and Dan and I also appreciate your patience while we work through this.  It looks like the fix is working well so far and the site is a LOT closer to the performance we all want.  (Maria gets the speedy eye award: I think the release was only out a few minutes before she noticed and posted!)  We will continue to work on performance, but, as you all know well, incremental performance improvements are never ending tasks.  If you see any oddities or if performance drags in any particular spot, I trust you'll all ping us right away.

Jon also mentioned navigation.  As Dan noted, that's coming.   To be candid, getting the performance back up on two feet has been top job for all of us and now we can re-focus on all the other things we want to do to improve and promote the site.

Cheers,

Tim

marikakis Thu, 02/04/2010 - 01:26

Hi Tim and all,

I am quite sure I saw a maintenance page almost an hour before I posted (I lost a post because of this). It didn't take a long time for the site to be back online. I wouldn't post so quickly, but I saw Dan replying to me about some site code typos instead of updating this thread, so I took it as a confirmation that the procedure was over and Dan was very happy. Things were rather easy at the time, although it was between 3 and 4 am in my country, because the difference in performance was enough even for my tired eye. Today my eye feels challenged, although it's not so tired. Did you make further improvements or is it something I failed to notice the previous week? I think I see a difference in user experience (incremental loading of components), but others do not post to help me understand I am not dreaming (I guess the NetPro team can't post to say 'hey, site is faster now, did you notice?' ).

Maybe the site is so fast now, it can sometimes make me think it's even faster! My mouse cursor can practically dance around the site, while I have an RTT in the order of 200 ms and not the fastest hardware or broadband capacity on the market. It's good to hear that you intend to do further performance improvements, but I think you've reached a point were the user can't be sure if things are better or not (unless we have some online gamers among us playing with the site links)! I am not sure myself, but thought I would go ahead and ask, just in case you did make some change. In the case that you did, I think it would be a pitty to go unnoticed.

Kind Regards,
Maria

Leo Laohoo Tue, 01/26/2010 - 14:39

Ditto here!  Congratulations to the entire NetPro team for not resting on your laurels and constantly looking and listening for ways to improve the quality of this site!  

Jon Marshall Wed, 01/27/2010 - 02:29

Dan / Tim + NetPro team

Really great job, site is so much faster now i'm having trouble keeping up

Jon

Leo Laohoo Thu, 02/04/2010 - 14:20

Maybe we should ask Dan/Tim if they can slow it a tad down too. 

Timothy Albright Fri, 02/05/2010 - 06:20

leolaohoo wrote:

Maybe we should ask Dan/Tim if they can slow it a tad down too. 

Leo,

Be careful what you ask for.    I think we've proven that we CAN slow it down.  Seriously, I am glad we can joke a little bit about it now.  Thanks for all your support.

Tim

Leo Laohoo Tue, 01/26/2010 - 14:36

dbruhn wrote:

Hi Maria,

You're going to give our IT team a run for their money

Hey Dan,

HIRE HER!

Leo Laohoo Mon, 01/11/2010 - 16:56

Hello Dan,

How's the holidays?

I've noticed it's been slow but it was still better.  This morning it sure was taking double the time but it kinda improved.  It's not my internet connection because we have a 100mbps connection to the ISP (plus I ain't using Internet Exploder).

One hour later and it seems to have improved. 

Dan Bruhn Mon, 01/11/2010 - 19:27

Hi Leo,

The holidays were good.  I hope you enjoyed yours as well.

I can assure you it's not your internet access   It is often dependent on what page you hit.  We are launching some new code toward the end of the month that will hopefully increase performance. That said, it will likely take a few passes to reach optimal performance but we'll get there.

Cheers,

Dan

Jon Marshall Wed, 01/13/2010 - 15:03

Hi all, little late to this thread.

Leo, i'm pretty sure i'm in the UK but obviously with all the drinking i can never be 100% sure Good job Maria is on the ball as usual !

Dan - you know what would improve performance ?, if we could navigate from one subforum to another without... etc.etc

Seriously though i must be one of the few who doesn't really notice the overall speed that much, probably because as i get older i get slower so it's a natural fit for me

Like Maria i am running Ubuntu with firefox but not sure how much of a difference that makes. I have noticed in the last couple of weeks however that sometimes it just hangs and the only way to get it back to a good level of performance is to close down my browser and then reopen.

Jon

marikakis Wed, 01/13/2010 - 17:29

Hi Jon,

A little late but really funny! Thanks for that. I needed it after some time of cold-blooded technical writing.

For baseball fans: my dream catch can be found on youtube by searching "amazing catch ball girl"! Maybe you guys have already seen it before. In any case, I am not quite there yet!

Regarding ubuntu: Yes, I have some issues too, but in my case it is with the sound and I have to reboot (haven't really searched for any better workaround ). In this case however, the issue I described can't be dependent so much on firefox issues I think. I mean, the browser sent request to server immediately and received immediate response at initial stage of clicking. I was looking at the data sent to/received from network (Network History under System>Administration>System Monitor) and the biggest part of the webpage data arrived at my NIC 5-6 seconds later. Assuming there is not a bug with this administrative tool, the delay is most possibly due to the server delaying to send the webpage data (RTT is in the order of milliseconds and cannot explain this delay). They say that user can wait for a long time for a page to load as long as some of the components of the page start loading immediately and the rest incrementally. Something like that seems to be happening on the homepage for example. Can't say if it was always like that or the team changed something today. Anyway, the homepage had always been some of the fastest pages to load.

Kind Regards,

Maria

Dan Bruhn Wed, 01/13/2010 - 18:33

Hi Jon,

Navigation across subforums is on the top our list for enhancements.  We have taken all of your previous suggestions for how this should look and are working on a solution.

Cheers,

Dan

marikakis Mon, 01/11/2010 - 13:49

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply and, above all, for calling us 'gang'! Because this is what we are!

Kind Regards,

Maria

marikakis Mon, 01/25/2010 - 18:01

Hi Dan,

I am fast, but not quite as fast as the new site right now! Man, you are breaking Einstein Laws! I looooove it!

Kind Regards,

Maria

Reza Sharifi Mon, 01/25/2010 - 18:33

Hello Dan,

Wow, this is amaizingly awesome and fast tonight.  I was wondering what happened all of sudden tonight until I saw Maria's post.  Then I realized I am not dreaming.

This is excellent.

Thanks for all your help and keep up the good work.

Reza

Rob Huffman Fri, 03/05/2010 - 06:24

Hi Reza et al,

Sorry to disrupt this excellent thread but I'm just trying to prove a theory I have about the look of a post

and the amount of space for posting relative to who you reply to

Cheers!

Huff

Dan Bruhn Tue, 03/09/2010 - 18:08

Hi Leo,

I haven't noticed a dramatic slowdown.  Can anyone else confirm what Leo is seeing?

Cheers,

Dan

Reza Sharifi Wed, 03/10/2010 - 07:35

Leo and Dan,

The site speed is really good and has not changed at all.  The thing that concerns me is that it seems as the site has a mine of its own and goes up and down without any notice and any one knowing about it just like the outage that happened this past Sunday for over 2 hours.

HTH

Reza

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted January 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM
Stats:
Replies:44 Avg. Rating:5
Views:2920 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard