Write Vlan.dat After NVRAM Erased

Unanswered Question
Jan 8th, 2010
User Badges:

I am in the process of upgrading our 3560-48PS switches from 12.2(40)SE to 12.2(52)SE.  To apply the upgrade, I have erased the nvram and saved the new IOS file to the switches.  The problem I am running into is losing the vtp data.  I am trying to find a way to write the vlan.dat file without adding a new vlan on the vtp server.  Is this possible?

Thank you.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
glen.grant Fri, 01/08/2010 - 11:20
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

You shouldn't lose the vlan data just because you upgrade .  It should get another advertisement from the server when it comes up to populate the vlan table .

Leo Laohoo Sat, 01/09/2010 - 14:10
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

I am in the process of upgrading our 3560-48PS switches from 12.2(40)SE to 12.2(52)SE.  To apply the upgrade, I have erased the nvram and saved the new IOS file to the switches.

You don't need to erase the config of the switch in order to upgrade from one IOS to another.  Don't be alarmed when you see that your switch reboots TWICE.  This is normal, one-time-only "offer", because starting from 12.2(50) the switch's bootstrap will be upgraded first before the new IOS is read.

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content