cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Write Vlan.dat After NVRAM Erased

jwilliard
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of upgrading our 3560-48PS switches from 12.2(40)SE to 12.2(52)SE.  To apply the upgrade, I have erased the nvram and saved the new IOS file to the switches.  The problem I am running into is losing the vtp data.  I am trying to find a way to write the vlan.dat file without adding a new vlan on the vtp server.  Is this possible?

Thank you.

3 Replies 3

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

You can use the copy flash:vlan.dat to backup and restore a vlan.dat file. Check this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5213/products_tech_note09186a0080a49dbf.shtml#backup

Hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You shouldn't lose the vlan data just because you upgrade .  It should get another advertisement from the server when it comes up to populate the vlan table .

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am in the process of upgrading our 3560-48PS switches from 12.2(40)SE to 12.2(52)SE.  To apply the upgrade, I have erased the nvram and saved the new IOS file to the switches.

You don't need to erase the config of the switch in order to upgrade from one IOS to another.  Don't be alarmed when you see that your switch reboots TWICE.  This is normal, one-time-only "offer", because starting from 12.2(50) the switch's bootstrap will be upgraded first before the new IOS is read.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card