Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup

saquib.tandel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have 10 routers and 25 switches. I want to take Software (IOS) backup of all devices and startup-configuration.

Is it possible to automatically perform every month.

Is it possibiliy to restore from central location as well.

Thanks

ST

7 Replies 7

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi saquib

You can have a basic tftp or ftp servfer, and manually copy the config and IOS, using the copy running tftp, copy flash tftp commands.. In anycase if you want to automate it, you need to have NMS systems which are capable of doing this.. Cisco has Ciscoworks products which uses Resource Manager Essentials (RME) suit in LMS bundle,  which does this automatically. you can have a look at the NMS products that Cisco offers in the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/netmgtsw/index.html

Look at Ciscoworks Lan management solution bundle..

Hope this helps.. all the best...

Raj

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would look at the solarwinds products for something thats not quite as pricey as Ciscoworks .  It will do what you want .

Hi,

To my knowledge solarwinds only backup an restore configuration but cannot backup IOS.

Do solarwinds now support IOS Backup.

Based on experience do you recommend and tftp software.

Hi Saquib

there are tons of tftp servers available for download.. i ahve been using 3CDaemon.. its a very nice tftp / ftp server software which is reliable.. Im not sure of solarwinds doing IOS backups... You can probably check their site..

As Glen suggested, costwise LMS might be a little expensive.. it really depends on what you need your NMS systems to do.. If you think your network is small, you can just backup configs using solarwinds, and manually do a tftp download of IOS to a central server.. IOS upgrades or changes would not happen that frequent on your network, as compared to a configuration change..

Hope this helps..All the best

Raj

Solarwinds also has free tftp server software  for download if thats all you need .

Thanks for your reply.

What config is needed on router and switch for TFTP setup ( backup IOS for router & switch )

You need to setup the tftp server, and use the command copy flash tftp

it will then ask you for the IOS which has to be backed up. make sure you can reach the tftp server (ping) from your router or switch before copying the IOS.

Hope thsi helps.. all the best

Raj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card