Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7 with overlapping extension

brunonogaki
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody,

I'm deploying a CUCM 7.1.3 + Unity Connecion 7.1.3 to a customer, and I have a doubt when using overlapping extension. As it's a large environment, he has overlapping extension number in his multiple sites. For example, both SiteA and SiteB have the extension range 8XXX. In CUCM I have configured some translations patterns, so that an user from SiteA should dial 118XXX in order to reach SiteB, and an user in SiteB should dial 218XXX in order to reach site A. And each site has its own line partition to extension numbers. And everything works fine...

But these users are all in the same Unity Connection Server. So I would have users from SiteA and SiteB with the same extension in Unity Connection, and I can't do that. What I know can do is to configure some partitions from SiteA and SiteB in CUC, and put each subscriber in one partition, right?

But when a user wants to reach the voice mail to get his messages, how Unity Connection knows from which location is he?

Please, anyone could advise me how can I proceed with this configuration?

Thank you!!!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The answer is correct.  There is no way to avoid overlap in Unity.  Unity Connection has PT and CSS.  (Which is a pain to setup).    You would have to setup a vm profile for each overlap number so it changes when it hits Unity to a unique number.  Also plan on PT/CSS to make it all work.

Id recommend take a deep look at your dial plan and start to plan on making adjustments where needed.   e164, 7 digit, 10 digit, etc.....

View solution in original post

Hey Guys,

I have found a solution that seems to work well.

First you need to set the following Service Paramater > Call Manager > Multiple Tenant MWI Modes to TRUE.

Second Create a Partion PT_MWI_Trans

Make sure the Office's CSS has the new partition added to it

Then create a translation pattern that will discard the 3 digits when Unity tries to contact that extension.

Example(Users extension in CUCM is XXXX and users extension in Unity Connection is 560XXXX:

Translation Pattern: 560XXXX

PartitionL PT_MWI_Trans

CSS: Office CSS

Called Party Transform Mask:  XXXX

Seems to be working,  still in early testing though.

Cheers

David

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

brunonogaki
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I found out a solution for that using Routing Rules in CUC, and creating new partitions and search spaces.

I had to create a new VM Profile and a new Pilot Number in CUCM. So each location has its own profile and pilot.

In CUC I created a Direct Routing Rule for each Pilot (Dialed Number equals ). Inside the Routing Rule config I'm able to set the search scope.

That's the only way I found to do this... if anyone has a better way of configuration, please post!

Thank you!

Hey,

I am in a simlar issue myself and wondering if you or anyone could help.  Basically the same setup CUCM 7 and Unity 7,  on CUCM I have seperate partitions for each of our sites.   Translations setup between each of them so they also have to dial 560XXXX to reach an extension in the head offfice and so on.

Now I also have a translation pattern for voicemail that prefix's the users extension with the 3 digit site code when calling voicemail.  This works fine and the users are setup in Unity with there extension being 560XXXX.   All works fine except the MWI,  I need a way in CUCM that chops the 560 off when Unity tries to send the MWI status to the extension.

And yes I know you can change the MWI extension in Unity but then I run into the problems of overlapping extensions.

I hope someone can offer me solution or possibly a better way of configurng this.

Thanks

David

I don't think there is a solution with Unity.  I think Unity Connection can make it happen, but not Unity.  The reason is because Unity is not partition-aware.  You have games it to allow multiple partitions by appending your 3-digit code.  But Unity only supports a single MWI On DN and a single MWI Off DN.  Unity Connection, from what I understand, can use different MWI DN's for different groups of mailboxes (I would say partitions, which is true, but confusing, because they are not necessarily the same partitions that you would see in CUCM).

You can create a translation pattern in CUCM for the MWI DN's that modify the calling number to strip off the 560 from 560XXXX.  However, it would do that for all MWI messages, and you run into the overlapping DN problem again.

The answer is correct.  There is no way to avoid overlap in Unity.  Unity Connection has PT and CSS.  (Which is a pain to setup).    You would have to setup a vm profile for each overlap number so it changes when it hits Unity to a unique number.  Also plan on PT/CSS to make it all work.

Id recommend take a deep look at your dial plan and start to plan on making adjustments where needed.   e164, 7 digit, 10 digit, etc.....

Hello,

I workarounded my problem creating multiple VM Profiles, and assigning a diferent Voice Mail Box Mask for each. And in Unity connection I created a alternate extension for each user.

For example... the extension 6000 from SiteA has the VM Profile VM_SiteA, which has the voicemail box mask 11XXXX. And this user in Connection has the alternate extension 116000. And the extension 6000 from SiteB has the VM Profile VM_SiteB, which has the voicemail box mask 21XXXX, and this user has this number as alternate extension as well (216000)... It works fine like this.

But actually I haven't tested the MWI... If I have a translation pattern in CUCM that translates 11XXXX to XXXX (in partition from SiteA), and another 21XXXX to XXXX (in partition from SiteB), and configure the MWI extension in Connection to be 11XXXX and 21XXXX, will it work? Have anyone already tested this?

Thank you very much!!!

Bruno

Hey Guys,

I have found a solution that seems to work well.

First you need to set the following Service Paramater > Call Manager > Multiple Tenant MWI Modes to TRUE.

Second Create a Partion PT_MWI_Trans

Make sure the Office's CSS has the new partition added to it

Then create a translation pattern that will discard the 3 digits when Unity tries to contact that extension.

Example(Users extension in CUCM is XXXX and users extension in Unity Connection is 560XXXX:

Translation Pattern: 560XXXX

PartitionL PT_MWI_Trans

CSS: Office CSS

Called Party Transform Mask:  XXXX

Seems to be working,  still in early testing though.

Cheers

David

When you put it that way, we could have told you about the hidden service for MWI.  Its been around since CUCM 4.x.   It is odd that its not turned on by default though....

glad you got it working!

Hey!! That worked!!!

But in my case, the extension in Unity was XXXX, so I changed the MWI settings in Unity to extension 560XXXX.

Thank you!!!

Bruno

I did something similar to that also, but with in the routing rules condition I had to base my rule on the seperate phone systems I configured to get it to work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: