Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Access using ISDN with CISCO 876

ulrich.klose
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I need to set up a dial up connection between to PC's at different sites. It should be a "classic" dial up connection (not using the internet) using ISDN.

I got a 876 router that provides the ISDN port on one side and a LAN interface on the other side. So physically the connection is no problem. However, configuring the 876 causes headache. Can anybody help?

Ulrich

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The commands are the same as with any other router, "configuring DDR". You can try yourself, and get more headache, or engange a professional that knows how to do it, and enjoy life again.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

View solution in original post

phausner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ulrich,

the ISD interface on the 876 is a full featured ISDN BRI. So you are able to use it as a backup or classical dial-in/out interface. However you need to have the ADVANCED IP SERVICES feature set to make it a standard interface. Once you have ensured this you can use any dial-config example like

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk133/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080093c2e.shtml

Hope this helps!

Regards

PHilipp

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What do you mean headache ? Have you configured DDR before ?

ulrich.klose
Level 1
Level 1

Hi p.bevilacqua,

thanks a lot for your reply.

What I mean with "headache" is that I don't have a real idea how to start. I mean, the 876 has an ISDN port as a backup for the dsl interface. And the ISDN port can be used for maintenance purposes. So both, dial.in and dial-out should be possible on this port. But there's not so much about this in the documentation. And there's nothing about a dial-up connection without tunneling through the internet.

These are some reasons why I'm stuck and get headache L.

Ulrich

The commands are the same as with any other router, "configuring DDR". You can try yourself, and get more headache, or engange a professional that knows how to do it, and enjoy life again.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Hi p.bevilacqua,

after being busy with a number of other tasks I now went back to this dialup problem.

Taking some time for digging into the configuration of DDR I finally succeeded in getting the stuff running.

Thanks, "DDR" was a good keyword.

Ulrich

phausner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ulrich,

the ISD interface on the 876 is a full featured ISDN BRI. So you are able to use it as a backup or classical dial-in/out interface. However you need to have the ADVANCED IP SERVICES feature set to make it a standard interface. Once you have ensured this you can use any dial-config example like

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk133/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080093c2e.shtml

Hope this helps!

Regards

PHilipp

Hi phausner,

thanks for your reply, just solved the problem. Interface configuration was one problem.

Don't ask for details. Sometimes it's too simple...

Ulrich

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: