CCNA credit card usage?

Unanswered Question
Jan 11th, 2010
User Badges:

Hi,

I recently acquired my CCNA in September of last yaer and I'm wondering what the credit card given to me was all about?

It had contact numbers on the back of it and my Cisco CCNA ID on the front. Does having a CCNA qualification enable me for any benefits in getting Cisco kit or support; as in discounts or something?

Issue is I'm schedualed to build a small data center pretty shortly and although the Cisco devices are all going to be second hand to keep costs down it would be great to get cheap support as all I really need is just IOS image updates and SIP software for VoIP phones.

Ok well just thought I'd ask anyway!

Regards,

Kaya

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Brandon Buffin Mon, 01/11/2010 - 06:05
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

Kaya,

Sorry, but your CCNA does not give you any discounts. The card really doesn't do anything except make you a "card carrying" CCNA.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

kayasaman Mon, 01/11/2010 - 06:59
User Badges:

Thanks Brandon!

I was guessing something like that would be the case......

Just hope I find work soon as I really want to do the CCNP too but for that obviously need funding. The system I have at home is fun as I have a 72" Sun Microsystems rack housing a few really cool Sun servers and connected to a Cisco 857W but how much can one learn from messing around at home?

Budget is main issue with that scenario.....

Anyway, thanks for the response I really appreciate it!

Regards,

Kaya

LordFlasheart Tue, 01/12/2010 - 03:05
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Why don't you check out Dynamips and the Graphical Front End for it called gns3? It's free!

HTH

kayasaman Tue, 01/12/2010 - 09:46
User Badges:

[quote]

Why don't you check out Dynamips and the Graphical Front End for it called gns3? It's free!

[/quote]

There is also Packet Tracer which the Cisco Netacad loves to give to students!!!

The only problem with that is that it's a GUI based thing and I really do hate GUI's! - call me old fasioned if you like but nothing beats a properly designed UNIX or Cisco IOS shell when building/managing/maintaining systems.

It's the reason why I don't like x86 machines too as SPARC systems can all be admined via a DEC VT100 styled terminal or terminal line console which multiplexes the serial data into SSH and allows people to remote access that way.

I know 99.9% of the world is MS Windows and GUI based but at least in my own time it doesn't mean that I need to conform :-)

This is just a personal thing though I do not wish to get into any debates on GUI or CLI as that will always be argued and is a really boring and annoying topic as there are people who will contest each side.....

Regards,

Kaya

Actions

This Discussion