Replies

Cisco 2951 question

rohanpatel
Level 1
Level 1

I have a brand new cisco 2951 router. I have couple of
questions:

1. Can I use 2951 as a voice gateway?

2. For IOS I do not see 2951 list under gateways when I go and choose IOS for my router?

3. If anyone has advanced ip services for 2951, please let me know.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco 2900 Series Integrated Services Routers Data Sheet

Cisco IOS Software

Cisco 2900 Series Integrated Services Routers deliver innovative technologies running on industry-leading Cisco IOS Software. Developed for wide deployment in the world's most demanding enterprise, access, and service provider networks, the Integrated Services Routers Generation 2 platforms are supported on Cisco IOS Software releases 15M&T. Release 15.0(1)M is available immediately and provides support for a comprehensive portfolio of Cisco technologies, including the functionality and features delivered in releases 12.4 and 12.4T. New innovations in 15.0(1)M span multiple technology areas, including security, voice, high availability, IP Routing and Multicast, quality of service (QoS), IP Mobility, Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), VPNs, and embedded management.
There's a new IOS system, review this:

Universal IOS Packaging Overview

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

joel
Level 1
Level 1

just to add to javalenc's response...

2951 is just like 2851 and can be used as a voice gateway. Assuming you have the PVDM resources and the interface cards for PRIs or POTS, you need the right IOS version.

Keep in mind that if you need to use this as an MGCP gateway, you need a minimin of CallManager 6.1.5 and above.

I see the IOS listed under the IOS download page...not sure why there is only a Universal feature set..

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/ImageList.x?relVer=15.1.1-XB&mdfid=282774230&sftType=IOS+Software&optPlat=&nodecount=2&edesignator=ED&modelName=Cisco+2951+Integrated+Services+Router&treeMdfId=268437899&treeName=Routers&modifmdfid=null&imn...

hope this hepls,

joel

not sure why there is only a Universal feature set..

Gone were the days of the "gentleman's agreement" where one can download any IOS feature set provided one owns up to Cisco and pays for the upgrade.  Nowadays you download one "common" feature set, the Universal(k).  Without the license file the appliance will activate the basic feature set, IP Base.  The license file from Cisco will allow the appliance to operate the software based on the license you paid Cisco.

thanks for the info...

This link gave me a lil more information...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10616/white_paper_c11_556985.html#wp9000734

:JoeL

Amitdivekar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rohan,

The router that you are using is not an ISR router...For you to use it as a Voice-Gateway you need it to be a ISR router.

So this is the reson why you are not able to download a valid IOS fot this from the cisco.com downloads page.

You can use the 2800 & the 3800 series as voice gateways...

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Amit

I just ordered a 2951 ISR G2 and was told by my Cisco team that I could use it as a voice gateway as long as I was running UCM 7.1.3. I haven't recieved it yet so I can't confirm this works in production, but I trust what they told me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: