cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NEXUS 5010 password

jerrymurray4
Level 1
Level 1

how do you recovery a lost password on a nexus 5010.  or is there a default password for the nexus

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jerry,

It can be tricky.  It's best to make sure you do this while at 9600 baud on your console.  Try using "ctrl + b" a few times after seeing the text "POST is completed"

Regards,

John Gill

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

jerrymurray4 wrote:

how do you recovery a lost password on a nexus 5010.  or is there a default password for the nexus

Nexus password recovery

Jon

Jon,

I have tried the steps you metioned in the document.  it seems the break command is not working.

I have tried the Ctrl ] and the Cntrl B, niether seem to be getting me to the switch (boot) > prompt

Jerry

John,

I have tried the steps you metioned in the link.  it seems the break command is not working.

I have tried the Ctrl ] and the Ctrl B, niether seem to be getting me to the switch (boot) > prompt

Jerry

Jerry,

It can be tricky.  It's best to make sure you do this while at 9600 baud on your console.  Try using "ctrl + b" a few times after seeing the text "POST is completed"

Regards,

John Gill

Not applicable

I have read the Nexus 5000 and I am also having great difficulty getting into the password recovery.  Can someone clarify, in the password recovery document when ctrl-b or ctrl-] is referenced, the Nexus is looking for the BREAK signal.

Terminal emulators

teraterm = Alt-b

putty = ctrl-break

securecrt = ctrl-break.

This is the same BREAK signal that allows password recovery on Cisco Routers?

I have been attempting the power cycle method but do not seem to be able to inter the break signal at the correct time (I am using securecrt), Here is where I am trying:

Booting kickstart image: bootflash:/n5000-uk9-kickstart.4.1.3.N2.1a.bin....
.........................................................................Image
verification OK

Starting kernel...
Usage: init 0123456SsQqAaBbCcUu
INIT: version 2.85 booting
Starting Nexus5010 POST...
  Executing Mod 1 1 SEEPROM Test......done
  Executing Mod 1 1 GigE Port Test.......done
  Executing Mod 1 1 Inband GigE Test.....done
  Executing Mod 1 1 NVRAM Test....done
  Executing Mod 1 1 PCIE Test..............................done
  Mod 1 1 Post Completed Successfully
POST is completed
Creating /callhome..
Mounting /callhome..
Creating /callhome done.
Callhome spool file system init done.
Checking all filesystems..... done.
ctrl-break
Loading system software

Jim Crider

johgill
Level 1
Level 1

Jerry,

If you do not see the intitial config dialog, you will need to perform recovery.

The steps are outlined on this page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/password_recovery/nx_os_pw.html

Basically, you will need to be on the console and "break" into kickstar, then issue a new admin-password, and then continue booting.

Let us know if that document needs some clarification.

Regards,

John Gill

thanks John  I didn't think it would have been that difficult.  it took several tries,  thanks for your help

I'm glad you got it!

Me neither. I've been working at trying to break into one of my switches for the better part of a day.
There are plenty of vendors of various gear out there that actually have verbage *within* the boot up process; eg Extreme where it says "Hit spacebar within 2 seconds to interrupt boot process"; so you *know* exactly what key sequence and exactly when to enter it for the particular switch to get into boot recovery mode. Most # of tries is 2; one to read the message and the other one to actually break in. Why Cisco can't do the same is beyond me.

I follow the instruction, it go well until step 9.

Step 9 Display the bootflash: contents to locate the Cisco NX-OS software image file.

switch(boot)# dir bootflash:

It is nothing come out when I cmd dir bootflash: .I tried to input the nx-os with cmd below I know it had it in bootflash:

switch(boot) # load bootflash:n3000-uk9.6.0.2.U6.1.bin

but it does not work. I am stuck there. 

crash0verride
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have the same issue.

I work on OS X Mountain Lion with USB-2-serial and iterm.

I have tried with ctrl+shift+b or ctrl+shift+alt+] but nothing to do, switch complete boot and prompt login.

Any idea on which short cut could I use on mac to access recovery mode?

Thanks

Regards

On OS X Mountain Lion. I gave up too. Was able to do it via VMware Fusion. If you don't have vmware fusion just find a windows laptop or try virtualbox with windows.

Hey guys,

Use Ctrl+C option. This is the break key for Nexus 5010 switch

I faced the same issue.

I reboot the switch and than I gave Ctrl+C key for break and switch comes in switch mode.

I hope this will resolve your issue

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: